More Aggressive: Stingray - Sterling or G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgavin, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Music Man is more aggressive sounding

34 vote(s)
  2. G&L is more aggressive sounding

38 vote(s)
  3. Beats me... I'm just pushing this button

19 vote(s)
  1. Anybody out there have experience?

I'd like to know which is more aggressive sounding and in-your-face, between the Music Man vs G&L basses.
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    IMO the stingray sound is as aggressive as it gets. Especially if you're going 4 string. The G&L can do a lot of different sounds, but i like the stingray's sound more.
  3. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    G&L L2000 :cool:
  4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i voted stingray because i am totally un biased;)

seriously the MM is aggresive without being rude 'ya know

the g&l seems to get too aggressive or not enough with no in between. dont get me wrong i still want one.
  5. The Sting Ray is the right amount of rude. :D
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    bruce, have you tried a 4 string ray yet? with the combiniation of different preamp and the different pickup with the phantom coil, your ray 5 doesnt sound quite as agressive as the 4 banger.
  7. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    I voted G&L.

Some folks voted MM only because that is their preferred sound. The question was "which is more aggressive?" For that I say G&L. JMO.

-- Gil
  8. Have you tried the Tobias Growler, it has a serious aggression problem, but doesn't bite!.:D
  9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Musicman basses get my vote
  10. Joe, no I have not, but I know you have experience here.

Despite the facts that my newly acquired SR5 is a real beauty, I don't think it is for me. I just can't get past the maple finger board issue. Second, I'm coming to the conclusion that 5'ers aren't for me either. If the 'Ray had a really bitchin' tone I could put up with the issues, but it doesn't. It just sounds "nice", but bland.

I'm going to pay a visit to the G&L dealer this morning, and see what they sound like.

[ edit ]

The G&L dealer is all sold out, and nobody in town has any used G&L either.

11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think G&L's have a lot more growl than MM's.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

People may prefer the tone of the Stingray more, but the G&L L series is capable of more aggressive tones than the 'Ray, IMHO.

That was the actual question, and I answered it, instead of giving my preference for my favorite bass.
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I got my G&L because it can be overly agressive when I want it to be.

14. Can't.......resist.......pushing........button!!

stingray, woof
  15. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    My vote is the g & l because i have owned both and the question was what was more a aggressive.
  16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm a LOVE my L-2000 & have owned many. They can be very aggressive but I thinnk the 4 string Ray is more aggressive. The p/u is placed in the right spot. It's so full mid-range that it's hard for it NOT to be aggressive, IMO.
  17. I can't say for sure about a G&L, but I know for a fact that the Stingray is more aggressive than a Sterling. I used to own a Sterling. The Sterling can do a pretty close Stingray "impersonation," but it's a lot mellower. If you're interested in comparing Stingrays and Sterlings, there have been many Rays vs Sterling threads in the past, so you may want to run a search.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You want aggression? Try a Pedulla ThunderBolt.
  19. Thanks for all the replys.

I'm getting ready to put my Stingray 5 up on eBay and replace it with some more aggressive sounding, but in a 4-banger.

G&L made the Climax bass for a few years during the early 1990's, and it appears to have the MFD pickup located in the MM sweet spot.

My line of thinking is a bass must have a pickup located elsewhere from the standard P and J positions, if it wants to sound fundamentally unique from the P and J tones. The MM and Climax both have the pickup locate uniquely. And apparently in the same location.
  20. I voted G&L,listen to steam will rise by silverchair thats some pretty crunchy bass.