Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Aggressive: Stingray - Sterling or G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgavin, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Music Man is more aggressive sounding

34 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. G&L is more aggressive sounding

38 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. Beats me... I'm just pushing this button

19 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. Anybody out there have experience?

I'd like to know which is more aggressive sounding and in-your-face, between the Music Man vs G&L basses.

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    IMO the stingray sound is as aggressive as it gets. Especially if you're going 4 string. The G&L can do a lot of different sounds, but i like the stingray's sound more.

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    G&L L2000 :cool:

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i voted stingray because i am totally un biased;)

seriously the MM is aggresive without being rude 'ya know

the g&l seems to get too aggressive or not enough with no in between. dont get me wrong i still want one.

5. The Sting Ray is the right amount of rude. :D

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    bruce, have you tried a 4 string ray yet? with the combiniation of different preamp and the different pickup with the phantom coil, your ray 5 doesnt sound quite as agressive as the 4 banger.

7. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    I voted G&L.

Some folks voted MM only because that is their preferred sound. The question was "which is more aggressive?" For that I say G&L. JMO.

-- Gil

8. Have you tried the Tobias Growler, it has a serious aggression problem, but doesn't bite!.:D

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Musicman basses get my vote

10. Joe, no I have not, but I know you have experience here.

Despite the facts that my newly acquired SR5 is a real beauty, I don't think it is for me. I just can't get past the maple finger board issue. Second, I'm coming to the conclusion that 5'ers aren't for me either. If the 'Ray had a really bitchin' tone I could put up with the issues, but it doesn't. It just sounds "nice", but bland.

I'm going to pay a visit to the G&L dealer this morning, and see what they sound like.

[ edit ]

The G&L dealer is all sold out, and nobody in town has any used G&L either.

Bummer.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think G&L's have a lot more growl than MM's.

grrrrrrrrrr

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

People may prefer the tone of the Stingray more, but the G&L L series is capable of more aggressive tones than the 'Ray, IMHO.

That was the actual question, and I answered it, instead of giving my preference for my favorite bass.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I got my G&L because it can be overly agressive when I want it to be.

Peace
    Nick

14. Can't.......resist.......pushing........button!!

stingray, woof

15. rooster

rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    My vote is the g & l because i have owned both and the question was what was more a aggressive.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm a LOVE my L-2000 & have owned many. They can be very aggressive but I thinnk the 4 string Ray is more aggressive. The p/u is placed in the right spot. It's so full mid-range that it's hard for it NOT to be aggressive, IMO.

17. I can't say for sure about a G&L, but I know for a fact that the Stingray is more aggressive than a Sterling. I used to own a Sterling. The Sterling can do a pretty close Stingray "impersonation," but it's a lot mellower. If you're interested in comparing Stingrays and Sterlings, there have been many Rays vs Sterling threads in the past, so you may want to run a search.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You want aggression? Try a Pedulla ThunderBolt.

19. Thanks for all the replys.

I'm getting ready to put my Stingray 5 up on eBay and replace it with some more aggressive sounding, but in a 4-banger.

G&L made the Climax bass for a few years during the early 1990's, and it appears to have the MFD pickup located in the MM sweet spot.

My line of thinking is a bass must have a pickup located elsewhere from the standard P and J positions, if it wants to sound fundamentally unique from the P and J tones. The MM and Climax both have the pickup locate uniquely. And apparently in the same location.

20. I voted G&L,listen to steam will rise by silverchair thats some pretty crunchy bass.