Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MORE... Aguilar 659, 680 and 750 thingy's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jun 15, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I just went over to Bass Tasters for a listen. I have to say that based on what I heard there, I lov ethe 659 and 680. Probably the 680 a bit more.

What the hell doe sthat mean regarding the 750? I haven't a clue.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i dunno. like i said, the 750 has the same interface as the 659, and one more tube. to my ears it sounds the same, to others it sounds a little different. Still, to me the real "wow" of the 750 is the power section. It absolutely eats a lot of other amps for lunch. Maybe that's why it weighs as much as it does. ;)

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Seems like the 659 is darker and smoother, and the 750 couples that pre-stage with a quicker and more articulate solid state stage - which is a good match!

On the flipside, using the 680 with the 728 pairs a pretty bright and midrangey preamp with a big fat beefy tube poweramp, which approaches a similar kind of sound (yet not as smooth) in the opposite way...

purely generalizations though...

What kind of sound are you looking for to compliment your upcoming Sadowskys?

4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    LOL The Holy Grail!

I have time but the Aggie stuff looks like the ticket for me. Which means tossing my Eden deal. I talked to Dave Boonshoft today via email. So, like I said I have time.

I thought the 659 and 680 sounded pretty damn close on your website. And, they might match up with my WT-1000 poweramps (have a couple).

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    There IS no holy grail. Every ear is different, every gear package is different. My Sadowsky basses enjoy their iAMP-800/NL210.

How did you determine that the Aguilar was the ticket for you? I used to use the 680/728 exclusively, and I still think it's a stellar setup, especially for rock. Just curious :)

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Hmmm I tried out a DB750 a few months ago and my first impression was that it just sound bigger and warmer than my Eden rig.

Then about 3 weeks ago I went to a shop that had an Eden rig and a 659 into some poweramp I can't recall. They were similar in some ways but that Aggie just seemed to have a richness to it that the Eden lacks.

Since then I have been thinking about building a new rig. I am writing and demoing songs for the next 6 months so no rush.

I have sought guidance and advice from other pro's and semi-pro's on TB about the Aggie stuff AND the Accugroove cabs.

Mark at Accugroove contacted me and offered to let me borrow an El Whappo for a few days. I will probably do that when my Sadowsky PJ5 gets here in a week or so.

Tommixx and others have raved about them and everyone seems to agree that the Aggies into the Accugroove is the ticket so I gotta try it.

I play mostly rock and modern country which is a lot of rock/pop these days.

I will probably try the 659 through my Eden poweramp and compare it to the DB750 with my Eden cabs and the El Whappo.

BTW, your site was a great tool. I think the Sad's with the EQ engaged sounded very boomy but that it just a taste thing. But it did give me a nice comparison between the 680, 659, navigator (my pre), Demeter, EBS and others. The Aggie stuff just sounded the best to my ears. The Demeter was good but rather sterile for my taste.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    amen...

been actually holding back big time from adding an NL210 to my setup. see my other thread...

but IMHO, Sadowsky on Aggie on Accugroove lovin' is quite heady to say the least.

8. What is the best Aguilar Amp to fit an GS212?

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That sounds about right from my experience.

Have fun trying out the new gear! We look forward to hearing your new material!

Tom.

10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Thanks. It'll be interesting.