1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by melodiaopus, Aug 23, 2007.

1. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I've just been imposed upon by a Epifani 502 head, but I have been swayed to another amp which is the Little Mark Bass II. I've heard a lot of these, but I can't make a clear decision as to how these compare as to tone, headroom (loudness), and clarity. Can anyone please help me. Also tell me which would you rather have between the two and why.

Thanks again for all my question regarding MB LMII

Adam-

2. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Funny you should ask...I have a UL502 and just grabbed a LMII today. One of these will be gone in a couple of weeks after I have time to compare them at rehearsals and a show.

Keep in mind that my LMII experience is a couple of hours playing solo in my basement. I tried two basses (a stock SX 57SJB and a Sadowsky Metro UV70, what a contrast, huh?) through LDS cabs (210 and 115).

Both amps absolutely scream at low master volume settings, low being about 9 or 10 o'clock. Using flat EQ, the Epifani really tightens up the sound of the SX...the bass sounds much better than a $119.00 bass should. The Sadowsky also sounded awesome. Somehow, the UL502 sounds "bigger" than the LMII...slightly deeper bass and crisper highs. The LMII seems to be more focused on mids, although the VPF moves the LMII sound closer the UL502 tone.

At this point, the Epifani is my favorite, but I'll have a more informed opinion in a few days after some rehearsals. A few other factors clouding my decision is that the $600.00 LMII is about $400.00 less than I paid for the Epi used and I could pocket a little cash, and LMII is also very lightweight, as you may already know.

Also keep in mind that you're comparing an amp that sells for $600.00 to one that sells for about $1600.00. I can't say at this point that the Epi sounds that much better than the LMII, but again, my opinions may change after more time with these heads.