More amp suggestions... Ampeg head with 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Oct 19, 2004.

1. I'm looking for a deep, warm growly sound. The SVT 4 I played at a gig a while ago through a 4x10 SVT cab was really really great for the tone I'm looking for. However I don't have that much money, so unless one pops up soon on the used market, cheap, I'll have to settle for something else. I've more or less settled on getting either a B series or Pro series 4x10... any suggestions, between those?

Next, for my head, I've tried a V-4BH and it's very good. I don't need too much power, considering I'm almost loud enough with a 60 watt combo (and a Behringer at that) but it's nice to have it available for a small gig eventually. The V-4BH seems to fit that bill, and many used ones pop up at a local store as people buy SVTs or other, more powerful tube heads. V-4B's from the 70s and 80s also pop up, and look like a good choice as well. Of course, there's always cheaper Ampeg heads, like the B-2 or B-4 heads. More power than a V-4B (on paper anyways) but no tubes. And I bet the V-4B can be comparable in volume since those tubes are in the picture. Can anyone suggest a good setup aiming for an SVT sort of sound? Thanks.
  2. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Just a thought but I really like the svp-cl and a power amp. I liked the 4-pro as well.
  3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    +1 (and you can always get a bigger power amp down the road if needed)
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    As long as your on a budget, try used. I highly recommend the SVP-Pro preamp and a high powered stereo power amp from Stewart, Crown, Crest, QSC, etc. etc. I've read a lot of great things about the SVP-CL preamp as well, but it's rather new on the market. I'm not sure if the SVP-CL's are readily available used as of yet. I'm thinking you could easily find the SVP-Pro and a stereo power amp used. There's a fair amount of used 4-10" cabs in my area, with is a cow-town. My guess is that you'll be able to find a used Ampeg 4-10" cab in your area rather easily. Be patient and when you come across a some used gear you're interested in, run it hard during your test drive. Listen closely for blown speakers, amps that distort or short out, etc.

Happy hunting, best regards.

5. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Ah yes, another Ampeg lover. Well, my friend it seems you have basically found your head. Bless you, for others try for years to figure out their amp needs. As for your Ampeg cab. I researched for over a year while saving for my cab. It had to be Ampeg and that's all I knew. I then went for size, weight and power handling. I then researched tone. In the end I learned that the pricey Pro Series cabs sounded more sterile or uncolored. The Classic Series cabs sounded classic like their name. B Series, I don't know about because I refused to own anything carpet covered. Anyway, I ended up with the SVT410HLF. Not a typical 4x10. Way, way deep-booming bass w/ tweeter. I love it. Others hate it. Many like the SVT410HE better because it has the more classic straight forward tone. I play metal only and the HLF is my baby. Good luck and enjoy your Ampeg research. When you get it home, warn your liked neighbors, turn it up and enjoy! :hyper:
  6. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Much to my surprise, the SVPCL did not have the growl...the SVPPro gives me more of what I expected to hear in the CL.
  7. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Thats what I thought at first and it is harder to get than the pro, but it is there. I run the low switch at 4 and the mid switch at 2 or 4. You have to turn the mid about 2:00 to let the mid selector stand out a bit. Also I found you have to run the cl hot, gain about 1-2:00 and master about 3:00 and up. Use the power amp or your bass for volume. About half way through the first set, and it starts to warm up, it barks pretty good. :bassist:
  8. Hmm, I've heard of the preamp/power amp setup quite a bit around here. Any more details? Is a pretty good power amp expensive?

EDIT: And generally, how much power am I shooting for with a 4x10 cab? Does the preamp affect that power, or is it entirely in the power amp?