Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Ampeg vs. SWR....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DirtDog, May 18, 2003.

1. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    OK - I've been reading about the various virtues of Ampeg vs. SWR. I've heard Ampeg owners state that they can make thier amp sound like an SWR and I've heard SWR owners say that they can make thiers sound like an Ampeg. These claims likewise state that the "other" amp could never sound like thiers...

I've got an SM400s going through a WM410T and have yet to make it sound like an Ampeg.

I'd like to know HOW you all make your amp sound like the other. Be specific.

Thanks,

DD

2. First of all I've either not noticed or missed the dialog you're referring to. Therefore I must ask, Why?

What's the point in it?

Is it to demonstrate that one or the other is versatile? Would that actually be versatility?

What if an SWR is suited only for the SWR sound?

Maybe one needs both to do either very well.

3. I can make my SM 400-S get the Ampeg sound
    with a Fulltone Bassdrive.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dunno how to clone either
    however, fwiw, despite the fact that ampeg sounds good i tried an svt pro 2 head and then tried just the power section of said amp with an swr grand prix preamp and found i liked the latter better
    i dont think a sans amp will make you sound just like ampeg but i have used their bass di in front of swr heads before and it definitely fattens up the "sterile" swr sound (esp with a graphite necked bass)

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I have noticed many passing references by various Ampeg or SWr users that they can get the SWR Sound with an Ampeg or they can get the Ampeg sound with their SWR - more of the latter than the former, FWIW.

I guess the argument is one of versatility, but I question why as well. And if so, what are they doing to get "that sound"....as I stated, I'm an SWR user and have yet to get that "Ampeg" sound with my rig and I'm curious what other SWR users are doing to get that "Ampeg" sound. If I really wanted the Ampeg sound, I would have bought an Ampeg....

I have the SABDDI, so I'll try that with my amp next practice...

DD

6. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Yup. That's the only way to get my Silverado to sound like an Ampeg. I use a smidge of OD and it works quite well...BTW, did I mention that I love my Fulltone?

7. Trying to get one amp to sound like another is a lot like trying to get one guitar to sound like another. You can get close until you here the real thing again then you realize that it just ain't quite the same. To my ears the SWR sound is a clean hi-fi sound with a scooped mid-range. The ampeg sound is a pretty flat sound with an amount of complex overdrive distortion added. (I think it's the overdrive that is the hardest to duplicate.) You can take your SWR and punch the mids a bit and add some overdrive at the pre-amp stage and get a kinda Ampegish sound. And you can probably take your Ampeg and turn down the drive and max the post and turn down the mids and get an SWRish kind of sound. The Ampeg can probably get closer to the SWR but, neither one will really duplicate the other.

8. i've had ampeg svt's b-2r's and a couple others, i now own a swr 750x and can produce any tone shape on earth ! add a little overdrive to get that ampeg grind....swr all the way !!! i can even make it sound like my vintage sunn 200s !