Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More automotive hilarity, yes at someone's expense.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The bright green fluid is coolant. It's not ever, ever supposed to come out of the oil pan (which is where it's draining from). It coming out with that kind of volume tells me that someone put coolant in the engine in the same manner that one would put oil in (as they're supposed to).

3. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    its stupidity like that that is bringing this world down

4. oh...hahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaha

Even I'm not that dumb...sometimes....whys it green?

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It's from Ireland. Go Here ---> http://www.autoshop-online.com/auto101.html

edit: looking over some of my last posts, it seems I have lost the ability to spell. Crap. :(

6. Go back and re-read,

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Your right, just read the thread again. Still funny though.

8. It is, if you follow the other threads, the seller and his buddy insist they did nothing wrong. When you sell something you need to tell prospecive buyers about potential catastrophic problems. The guy knew there was something MAJOR wrong, people asked what, he didn't bother to answer. I've sold two cars with big problems, and I disclosed those problems outright.

9. Reminds me of a girl I went to high school with that decided to put diesel in her 2000 Jetta because diesel was cheaper than unleaded. She got away with it too, once. The second time, she completely killed the engine.

10. reminds me of the kid who wanted to paint his "brakes" white. usually that means painting the caliper covers. this jackass painted the rotors and posted a picture of painted white rotors in his parents' lawn with overspray all over the grass. i hope he didn't get into the crash he was setting himself up for.

i've considered painting mine red to match the trim on my car, but i don't want to have to explain a million times that, yes, i know i'm only painting the caliper covers and not the actual rotors themselves.

robb.

11. I didn't get it at first - to me the stuff coming out of the oil-pan looked just like "Duckham's 20-50" (anyone remember that stuff? - hint: U.K. circa 1965-75 - is that stuff still available, I wonder?)

- Wil

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Nobody put coolant in the oil. What happened was the engine kicked a rod. The rod (upon being kicked) punched a hole not only through the oil pan (picture 3), but also broke into the water jacket of the block, allowing coolant to enter the oil pan. Since oil and coolant dont mix (for the most part), the coolant settles to the bottom (it's heavier) and comes out nice and clean first when the drain plug is pulled (picture 1). Eventually the coolant is almost all out, the oil begins to come out along with it (picture 2).

Had someone accidentally put coolant in the oil and ran it for any length of time (like long enough to kick a rod) the stuff in the oil pan would have looked like the chocolate milkshake oozing out the intake (picture 4).

13. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Back when I worked for a car rental place, we had one of our locations inside of a Montgomery Ward auto service shop. And indeed, one of the crackhead techs there put coolant in instead of oil. Dead engine, Wards had to pay for a new one. They also had a habit of putting in batteries backwards. Wards is of course out of business now, so one horror against the automotive world has been thus removed.

14. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

:eek: .......... :scowl:

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Is it true that there is an oil change service in Texas called "in and out lube"?

16. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well, we have KY.