Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

more avatar 112 fun

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Nov 17, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    this afternoon i succeeded in changing one of the 1/4" speaker jacks on the back of my avatar 112 to a speakon. with the right tools, anything is possible.

anyways, i did this so that i can stick the bridge mono output (what i use all the time) from my DCM1000 into the 112, eventually running a 1/4" out of the the cab into another 112.

tonite i had a gig with the fusion band i'm in (Tim Whalen Electric Group) and i used my rack and my 112. i put the speaker on top of the drummers floor tom case so it was closer to my ear, but damn. that thing was LOUD. and great sounding to boot! all the band members (drums, keys, guitar, 2 saxes) were amazed at the kind of low end and punch this thing had out of so small of a box.

just passing on the info and spreading the word about avatar stuff. i can't wait to get another one! (and i am going to get another 112 instead of the 115 - the low end of the 112 is plenty for me and i don't want to lose any punch/high end)

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    and here you were so worried that they sucked! ;)

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I think Jason picked up the torch from Quadzilla!:D
    Actually, I wish I had a use and $ to try them out!

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

And he is doing a fine job :)

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Ordered a 4x10 from them on Friday. Should be here this week.

How in the hell I'm gonna sneak it by the wife is another question altogether. :(
    I think she's starting to get suspicious of the covered stacks downstairs now.

6. So, how do Avatar's measure up to your SWR cabs, Jason?

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i don't know how fair a 6x10 vs. 1x12 comparison is, but here goes...

i think the horn is a very important part of how a cab sounds (because i play with mine 3/4 up all the time), and since both have the same horn, the top end is pretty similar.

my 6x10 has more low end and can definitely hit harder, but the 112 is a little smoother on the bottom and mids. less growly than i'd like, but adding another one with another horn should do it. it's GREAT for upright with my AMP BH-260 and the horn dialed back, better than any SWR cab i've owned by a lot. and you know, when i run it with my rack it sounds darn close to an SWR cab. i'd say it's kind of inbetween SWR and ampeg. and it handles the low B pretty well as well!

8. I'm wondering how my avatar 4ohm 210 run one from one amp output with 2x avatar 15 Compacts daisychained on the other output (yes, amp can go to 2ohms) would sound (400watts at 2 ohms)

I think it would be a relatively small but deadly rig.

Not sure how much 30-40hz trouser flapping there would be.

Worth forming a band just to have an excuse to try it out.

Could stack them in a vertical tower, which is supposedly most effectove for bass dispersion.