More bass from my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rygelxvi, Mar 7, 2003.

1. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I currently own a MIA Fender Jazz Bass w/emgs. It has a great tone and I love how quiet the EMGs are. The highs and mids are real nice but it lacks lows and lowmids. So I'm looking to get better lows. What would you suggest? New pickups or add a preamp (will one work well with the already active EMGS?) or both? If anyone has or has heard a really bassy Jazz bass please let me know how you did it thanks.
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The easiest way to get more bass from your instrument is to change to a heavier gauge of string, especially if you're currently using a lighter gauge.

You could also add an on-board EQ, but if you're always wanting to add more bass, I'm not sure what that really gets you that's much different from simply turning up the bass control on your amp. (Why are we always so reluctant to use the amp's EQ? I know I end up modifying my bass rather than tweaking those very nice little controls...)

3. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003

I don't always go through my amp. Sometimes its to a headphone device and sometimes to the board. I like to have MY sound coming from my bass and tweek the amp as needed.
  4. When I'm at school with the upright, it was always a pain to get good bottom to come out of the sucker. That was with the amps bass levels boosted all the way. So, I took a fishman pre and boosted the bass on that close to max and makes for some good thumpin. of course you might have better luck with the amp settings than i would cause all I got to use is a Crate, :(. If you run it direct into a mixing board you can also screw around with the eq to get more bass as well. hopefully this helped, if not I know someone elses comments will, :).
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You get 3db more bass if you put your cab on the floor, and 3 more if you put it in a corner. If using headphones, lie down in the corner. If using a mixing board, put it on the floor in the corner. :D

Use heavier strings, don't change them frequently, back off on your tone knob, and pluck closer to the neck. You could also consider a pedal.
  6. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Yo Ry........You do understand the the real beauty of a Jazz Bass has long been the fact that it has such great tone. Rather than having notes that are sloppy and unable to be understood, a Jazz has always been pretty clear and easily identified. NOW, if you want just lows.............does the name Gibson EBO mean anything to you? :D

That instrument has such low-end that you can't tell a low E from a G. :bassist: