Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

more bass!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by shanmag, Aug 8, 2005.

1. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    Hey
    sorry if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it if it is!

anyway, im just wondering if there is anything that can, make the bass stand out more in songs i guess?? i know u can adjust the EQ settings for my speakers but i want it to stand out alot more that what i can get it to do with adjusting the EQ settings!

im only a beginner and am finding it difficult to hear what the bass is playing in some parts of the song!

there is probably no such thing and im making it up, but its worth a try! Thanx! :bassist:

2. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I have a student who plays in a high school band. She started with a 60W amp, and couldn't be heard in a 100+ member band with drum line (inside sometimes - ouch!). Now I have her playing a Carvin BRX212 and a 4 x 12 Trace Elliot bass cabinet. I'm guessing the amp is pushing 600+, and she can not only be heard, but felt. Great lows. MY

3. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    ohh sorry dude! i didnt really word the question quite that well!!

i ment more along the lines of something that can boost the bass in songs im trying to learn so i can hear the bass line perfectly without getting covered by the guitar or drums??

4. if your trying to do it in others songs.... like your trying to learn a blink-182 bassline all you can really do is pump up the EQ.... if your trying to do it to your own songs add a bunch of mids.

5. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    im trying to learn other songs!

ive tried doing the EQ thingy but it doesnt help that much... a little bit but not as much as i was hoping!

I downloaded "Transcriber!" and played aroung with the EQ on that by putting the bass up just made extremely hard to hear anything.... it was super quiet!

anyway thanx for ur help!!

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a Tascam CD-BT1 (I think there is now a BT-2) that has a bass boost. This usually works well.

Two problems:

1. Bass drum. If the bass drum is overpowering the bass, the bass boost will boost it too :(

2. If there is very little bass or a very muddy bass line there is nothing to boost :eek:

My rule of thumb is; if I can't hear the bass line in a song when listening very carefully, the average listener cannot hear the bass line at all. So make up anything that fits!

7. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Yeah, the Tascam BT1MKII is an excellent tool for isolating those lines, but it does have the aforementioned limitations. It also has the ability to change the tempo of the song without altering the pitch, as well as altering the pitch without altering the tempo, and any combination of the two. :)

I also like the Bass Cut feature for use when playing along to songs you already know.

I use my BT1 just about every single day. :)

Good luck!

8. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    have u tried listening to the songs on a good set of headphones at a pretty loud volume? I find this can help pic out the bass lines a bit better.

9. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm very interested in one of these puppies. How well does the Bass Cut feature work? I'm assuming (optimistically pessimistic) that it either does not eliminate the existing bassline completely or that it eliminates some of the non-bass low frequencies along with the bassline.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Depends on the song. It seems to just be a high pass filter. So, the biggest problem is that it also cuts a lot of the drums.

It can really help. I needed to learn Crazy but the bassline I play is different from the one on the record. I find it hard to play against *another* bassline. So by cutting the bass I can at least play along to the changes and vocals.

11. To hear a bass line that's been isolated using Transcribe, after you isolate the bass, then shift the song up an octave!! This usually works very well for me....now the bass line stands out much better.