Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Catalinbread news / your perfect OD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xan, Jul 3, 2005.

1. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    I was talking to Nicholas at Catalinbread tonight and I asked about the Supercharged Overdrive being used on bass. He's gonna test it out and let me know, but we talked about the needs of bassplayers and the features a bass overdrive ought to have, perhaps with a view to making such an OD in the near future. I said I would give it some thought and get back to him. So whats your perfect bass overdrive?

Heres some things I came up with:

*blend pot a la voodoo labs sparkle drive in order to keep those lows
    *eq: including a mid pot
    *2 stomp switches, one for a more subtle sound, the other for some nastiness.
    *true bypass/switchcraft jacks/superbrite LEDS etc.
    *guv`nor type tone
    *around the $150 US mark

I would be interested to hear everyone else's thoughts on this. Cheers.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not going to suggest tones cos we'll all disagree.
    What I will say however is that most two channel od/dist boxes have been a disappointment. Not because of the sound, but because of matching levels between the od and dist channels.
    The fulltone bassdrive, trex bass juice both suffer from this issue. The barber deep fryer is the only one I've seen with vol/gain for each channel - this is crucial for going back and forth between sounds.
    As for eq, I'd really rather not have another place where I can eq my sound - while it's definitely useful, I'd prefer to have one functional tone /eq knob.
    The Tech21 XXL for example, has a center position. It boosts lows when you turn it ccw, or highs when you turn it cw. In conjunction with the drive and warp controls, that gives me all the flexibility I need. Some other pedals have this type of concept also, and IMO it's great.

As for cost, I'll go to $250 for the right one. The Barber Deep fryer is the closest I've gotten to dual channel happiness over the years, if it had a tone knob per channel it'd be perfect. As it is, I have to select a compromise tone position that'll work ok (but not great) for each channel.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't think we're gonna need dual channel. Most of y'all are the same way I am, with six or seven different distortion boxes, so another channel isn't necessarilly the right answer, especially if it's prone to volume inequalities.

Just a nit-noy little thing... super-brite LED's can be quite annoying. I'm not sure about you guys, but a superbrite on a dark stage lights up everything around you and it's right in your face. A regular LED works fine for me.

Other than that, it sounds great.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    True, but I still feel there's not yet been the perfect dual channel pedal. It's my holy grail :)

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Exactly, my aim in life is always aim low and come out looking impressed rather than shooting high and failing :)

I dunno, I'd be happy with a perfect single channel overdrive/distortion.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    don't get me wrong, I'd be fine with that too.

Oh yeah, here's one more requirement: DO NOT MAKE YET ANOTHER TUBESCREAMER CLONE!

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would be happy with an overdrive with an eq section that would could bypassed. Also, it would be great if the eq could be activated seperately without overdriving the signal. A clean blend would be nice as well.

8. I'd agree with all the above that a great single-channel is better than an average dual-channel.

But I'm all for versatility, cut/boost eq, bypassable eq, blend knob (with true non-blend and full-blend on the end positions...).

Tell us what happens!

9. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    a timmy C emulator, that would be cool, i'd agree with both of you all but didn't te J&H from visual sound had cool volume matchings??

Hummm a guv'nor soundd!!!

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, the VS J&H so far is my favorite dual channel overdrive/distortion. Shame I can't afford to keep one :(

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    hey cool thanks for the input. perhaps a dual channel might be aiming a bit high, simplicity could be the answer. given that some of you thought bypassable eq would be good, maybe the second switch could do that:

Switch 1: effect on/off
    Switch 2: eq bypass

Catalinbread pedals are actually pretty small, so some features may be limited by this. and perhaps the 'eq' would ultimately just have to be a single pot with lows boosted ccw and highs on the other as suggested by david. do people want mid control? i find it useful personally. Given that space may be an issue, perhaps there could just be a switch to boost or cut mids.

To be clear, im not looking for a TS clone :) Though i dont mind that tone, I agree that it has been done to death. The only reason i was looking at the sparkle drive is because its a good example of an OD blend pot.

Thanks for the help, I shall keep you informed.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    definitely. imo the sparkle drive is the best tubescreamer equivalent for bass, it's a great pedal