Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More challenging jaco pieces

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lewi_wilko, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    hello i am starting to get into jaco pastorius and i realy enjoy some of his work. I have learned donna lee and come on come over and i was just wondering does anyone know any more jaco pieces at about the same difficulty level (or even higher.)

2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    teen town, chromatic fantasy, continumm. there is a diffrence between going through the motions and really nailing a piece. not that you're not

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    the solo from "Used to be a cha-cha"

4. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    this is what my bass teacher has been telling me, when he was teaching me come on come over he told me to play at half speed until i got a feel for the song and all of the notes. Now after doing this i can play the song well at full speed.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya, when I was younger and concerned with playing a lot of notes, I used to challenge myself to learn the toughest songs I could think of. I would get them, I learned chromatic fantasy, and donna lee, and crisis, and well a large part of jaco's catalogue. But ultimately, I didn't really learn the songs as much as I just learned how to bust my chops. When it comes to it, I can only remember about half of chromatic fantasy and I choke up on parts I didn't used to choke up on.

So, it is valuable to learn songs, and to challenge yourself, but it is important to consider why you are learning them and what you are hoping to achieve from learning them. Personally, I don't regret how I did things. Since, I worked my chops up tremendously and I did have a lot of fun. Ultimately, I may not have learned the songs as in depthly or well as I could have, but I still got something out of it. which is important.

6. Port of Entry

Havona

River People(another song that requires a good feel to sound right)

Portrait of Tracy

7. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Lewi even if you can play every note in Donna Lee flawlessly and at the same tempo as Jaco, you are missing the boat on the real challenge with Jaco compositions and solos. Analyis the chord changes and see how he moves over the chords, how he outlines certain cords, inverts them and substitutes changes, his rythmic approach, his voice leading etc. That's far more valuable than memorizing the song with out ever taking the time to figure out what he's really doing. That is also what will improve your playing and musicianship and give you a vocabulary you can use. Now there's a challenge!

8. ^^
    +1000

9. kenlacam

kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
    I am just now getting into Jaco's work. I bought "Modern Electric Bass" and it is really helping my technique!