Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Combo Complications

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kwisatzbass, Jan 16, 2001.

1. kwisatzbass

kwisatzbass

May 30, 2000
    I am running an Eden Metro combo, and a Fender Jazz through it. The other day, when i was playing at church, i kept getting a loud, low pitched popping sound out of the speakers, kind of like a bass drum, only more harsh. This had been happening for several weeks prior, but never as bad as this. I have used different cables and still had the sound, so i can rule that out. My two guesses are either the output jack on the bass (its a passive bass if that matters), or the input jack on the Metro. Anybody have an idea what it is, if you have had similar problems before? Oh, one more thing, it does this on both channels, the tube and the solid. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Kwisatzbass

-I dont believe in Captain Crunch, for i am the Fizzle Fry-

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Whu-ooh! Evidently, it is only happening when you run a signal through it. Your post doesn't mention doing this, so try your Jazz through another amp and see what happens. If you can rule out your bass, then all I can say is the resonant vibrations are causing something in your amp to possibly disconnect and reconnect since your sound doesn't cut out totally. If I was in this situation, it would be tech time. Hopefully, someone here has a definitive answer.
    Please let us know how you get this resolved.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Wiggle the plug in each of the jacks (with the rig fired up) and see if one of them is the problem. If not, you may have a pre-amp tube going out. Or, it may be something else.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I get a sound like that when I play in my garage because it isn't grounded for doodoo. Try another amp plugged in to the same outlet and see if you can reproduce it.