1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More cool amp fun!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Bass Amps, Strings, & Accessories' started by Mike Carr, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    With a heavy heart and mixed emotions I have decided to let you guys have a crack at this rare gem...
    The Walter Woods Speaker Cabinet!
    As decribed over in the amps section. The Walter Woods Speaker Cabinet. 15 inch 400 watt 4 ohm Carvin Speaker that sounds just as good as the old Gauss that used to be in it. Sorry the Guass is long gone. Weighs in at about 50 lbs give or take. No leaks, rattles or funny noises come out of it, just tons of bass goodness with your Walter Woods head perched proudly atop this baby. No scratches, rips or tears in the speaker grill or on the heavy duty jet-black tolex because I allways kept it in it's cover, which is included. Gigged a lot until the late 90's but never abused and never let me down. Even sounded good with an electric 5 string I used to play with higher powered heads, sometimes I'd use an SWR Bass 350 if I had to play a loud gig on 5 string back in my slab days. But sounds absolutely superb with my WW M 100 8 with either double bass or 4 string electric bass. I'd swear I'd never sell it, but I'm 55, and the city I plan to live out my days in (Hong Kong) is the kind of place where the biggest speaker I'd ever have to bring anywhere is my AI Contra EX, which weighs a lot less!
    All the other gigs I play have backline provided by the promoters. So this box has never left LA, just part of the collection of my old gear that I visit when I see my Mom and Dad, which has been far too infrequently the last few years.
    Buy it for $800 obo! I'd want $1000 for it but since the speaker is the Carvin, not the original Gauss I'm letting it go for the reduced rate. I'll be home in LA visiting next week and I will take photos of this rarest of gems for you all to drool over! Buy mine and then try to pry Richard Simon's away from him and own your own WALTER WOODS STACK! That alone will make you the coolest kid on the block, just like I've been tryin' to be all these years! The Walter Woods Mini Amp Speaker, the real thing! Try to find another of these! $800obo!!!

2. Richard Simon

Richard Simon Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike,
    You sure give good ad copy.
    I hope you generate a bidding war for your WW Mini Bass Speaker Cab.
    You deserve it: for taking such good care of the amp, and of your fellow bottom-feeder.
    Now you've got me wondering if I should let mine go...
    It occurs to me that I did upgrade amps since acquiring the cab:
    my current Woods amp is an MI 200-8 300W "green light" Electroacoustic.
    Are its 300W going to strangle the Gauss speaker?

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hi Mike
    There's a good possibility the speaker in there now is better than the Gauss speaker. The Gauss speakers were VERY inefficient and really needed to be pushed before they opened up. The Carvin speaker is probably much more efficient and sounds better at a low volume with the upright.

4. Richard Simon

Richard Simon Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    B String,

Pardon my mess.

Mike Carr's Walter Woods cab has the speaker upgrade; mine presumably has the original Gauss 5840.

My concern is the Wattage discrepancy. My current WW amp is 300W, and the Gauss is probably 150.

Is it unwise to even fly low volume-wise with this combination?

Thanks.

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Richard

From my experiences you won't have to worry. You aren't the kind of player to abuse your gear. You'll hear the limit of the speaker long before you'd do any damage.
    Also, as I stated earlier, the Gauss speakers like power. And as far as I know, the 5840's took much more than 100 watts. Maybe that's why Walter used those speakers. So he could pair them with his more powerful amps. As I remember, those boxes were some of the only 15's that sounded good for the upright.

6. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Hi Richard and Bruce!

Richard, I think your Gauss will be just fine taking your WW's 300 whopping Walter Watts with no problem. Bruce, now that I think about it, it was in fact you that recomended that I go with the Carvin that's currently living inside the WW Cab. I remember talking to you about it years ago... it was a good move. Yeah, it's one great sounding speaker box, I'll be a more than a little sad to see it go, but it's cool because I hardly ever see it anymore anyway these days.

7. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Deal pending! Results TBA, stay tuned!

8. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    SOLD!!!:hyper:

9. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Here it is folks! Actual proof of the existance of this rare bird.
    My last look before I box and ship. Goodbye my old faithful friend!

10. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I'm keeping the WW Head of course!