Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More crappy music from me.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ugh. I hate the recording process, especially when you have to do everything yourself, and you have downstairs neighbors that hate music. Bleh.

Anyways, here's a full length (9 minutes) song I feel like I've been working on forever. I'm sick of working on it and I'm releasing it as is. It sounds terrible. Yuck. But at least it shows some more of my writing style, and proves that I can play a tapping bassline in 17/8 and sing at the same time.

I think the best part is at the end, so don't give up on it within the first 5 minutes.

Here you go:

Smile

Tell me I suck. Really.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Apart from being mixed pretty poorly (vocals totally muddy and buried, opening guitar(?) pretty loud and jarring, drums weak and buried, bass kind of undefined) I dig it. The ending is > than the beginning imo

3. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I love your siging voice during that acoustic guitar part! I dont think it was horribly mixed. Not ideal, but ot horrible. the bass was really muddy and undefined, I though. Abit more drums woudl eb nice, but they're really close. It's a good song. I like it quite a bit actually.

travis

4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    it's really cool, but the mix is definitely what i'd call horrible.
    especially in comparison to the music.

i bet with the right mixing it will be a fantastic piece.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Like I said, I hate recording. This is my first attempt to do everything myself, and I think it came out horribly. I've got a buddy who used to work for Nine Inch Nails who wants to record my stuff, so I am experimenting with some things to see what direction I want to go in in a real studio setting.

Due to my extremely lame neighbors, I was forced to record everything direct, and monitored everything through headphones. Not ideal, I know, but you work with what you got. I would attempt to re-mix it, but I would probably just make it worse, and I am honestly sick of this song. I'm going to work on something new; hopefully that will come out better.