Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Dave Holland Adoration....

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Chrix, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Just saw the Dave Holland Quintet in Chicago yesterday. Words completely escape me. You know, you listen to recordings of these guys, studio and live, but it never occurs to you the extremely high level of musicianship and energy until you're 5-10 feet away from them, watching them at their craft. I truly believe that Robin Eubanks and Chris Potter are easily the greatest at their respective instruments right now. (If I had to play something with a slide, I'd never be anywhere near as precise as Eubanks is...not even close). Steve Nelson is like a mad scientist at the vibes and marimba. I was worried when I had heard last year that Billy Kilson had left the group to persue his own music, so I was really interested to see what this new drummer was about. Nate Smith is more than qualified to fill in the huge shoes of Kilson. One of the greatest feels and some of the best ideas I've ever heard out of a drummer (not like I worried that Holland would find someone that couldn't play). And of course, Dave was all I expected and more. I've haven't seen many other bassists that make it look as easy as he does...plus I got to meet him! Helluva guy...even took time to say hi to my friend and my fiance.

Anyway....I should go practice.....

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Agree enthusiastically! Some of the best writing in jazz, I think. And he's such a nice cat, a real gentleman.

3. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Was he at the Jazz Showcase?

4. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn

Yeah. I saw the matinee show. First time I've ever been there. It's quite possible that they were all just warming up for the night shows, but you'd never know if if they were.

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Check his AMG biography. DH is on Silent Way and Bitches Brew.

Emerald Tears, great solo album, and Balladyna (with Edward Vesala and Tomasz Stanko) are more often in the pile o'cds that get played than in their proper slots in the cd shelves...
    I'd be glad to hear what other TBers listen to when they want some DH.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Prime Directive is defintely my favourite! I also like his work on Kenny Wheeler's 'Angel Song' - no drummer, so you can hear him very clearly! :)

7. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Agree about Angel Song, one of the most beautiful albums ever. Also, DH's recent live album "Live at Birdland" is great, as is his playing with Anthony Braxton in the 70s, actually I can't think of anything with him on I've heard that wasn't brilliant!

8. Slapfiddle

Slapfiddle Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2004
    New York City
    I saw Dave on the first Saturday set at the showcase. He had his usual great sound, as well as the others. I didn't think Dave had the same hookup with Nate(drummer) as he did with Kilson, may take time. When things didn't line up, Dave would just smile a little bit and go on. Plus they miked the drums which seemed funny. He was very nice to talk to. As far as recordings go, get "Gnu High" on ECM from the 70's under Kenny Wheeler's name, very elastic and it has Jarrett on piano. Also, "Phase Space" from the early 90's, duo with Steve Coleman on alto, totally amazing.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    "Trio Fascination", with Joe Lovano and Elvin Jones.

10. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Gateway - with John Abercrombie and Jack DeJohnette. I favor the one from the 70's, but the newer ones are good too.

+1 for Emerald Tears

11. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Not For Nothin' is on my Top 5 All-Time list. Incredible writing and incredible playing.

I also grew up listening to Conference of the Birds which many avant-gardistes acknowledge as a seminal work of post-Ornette jazz. If you're heading for the edge, the path probably goes pretty close to there.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Most of the new quintet stuff is really great, CONFERENCE OF THE BIRDS is a must have I would say, there are a couple of recordings from when Dave was playing with Hank Jones and it's nice to hear him in that context, the Metheny record with Roy Haynes is OK (not as deep as the one with Charlie and Billy).

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oh man, how could I forget Conference Of The Birds?! That one twisted me right around when I heard it the first time.

14. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    The Jazz Showcase is such an amazing place. I live 4 hours from Chicago and would love to go every week, but...I hadn't been paying attention or I would have been there with you!! I love the size of the place, how you can really see and hear. I've sat on the first row before and you're about 2 feet from the players. Amazing. Everyone should go when they are in Chicago!

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You got fewer tourists when it was in the Blackhawk.

The staff does seem to be pretty amenable to putting you someplace good if you look like you're there for the music and not because the wait for a drink was too long at the Hard Rock Cafe.

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I love the Dave Holland Quintet, the Gateway trio and his playing with Miles.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in January on Kenny Wheeler's 75th birthday tour: a big band that also includes Evan Parker, Lee Konitz and Norma Winstone! :cool:

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yow! Kenny is 75!? Damn. I'm gettin' old.

THAT would be a tour I'd love to see...what a lineup!

18. koricancowboy

koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    You guys should also check out the Sam Rivers album "Waves" Bass and tuba what more can you ask for!

19. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Anyone ever hear the Dave Holland/Barre Philips records? I haven't, personally, but was just curious how they are.

Also, a trend I'm sure that not only I have noticed, anyone have any insight as to why Dave doesn't use piano on any of his records? Not that I mind, because I completely dig the sound, but I was just curious if anyone had heard anything or had any idea why.

20. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Cd's with Dave Holland I've listened to recently, and would recommend:

- Conference of the Birds (thanks TB, great album)
    - Phase Space, a series of duets with Steve Coleman on alto sax.