More drama..... last nights gig.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Alcohol is the devil I tell ya.

I'm so pissed. After about a year of hard work, my cover band finally got hooked up with our area's top booking agency. This means we get to play the best clubs, make the best money, and don't have to do anymore booking ourselves. We did an audition gig last week - it went great, and they gave us our second gig last night.

The gig was going excellently, and then during the last set we start getting a little sloppy. No big deal, but it is to the singer - who put the band together. Right in front of the whole crowd he starts getting into an argument with my guitarist. The guitarist throws his guitar down and they're about to start a scene - THANK YOU KING ALCOHOL. I manage to squash it within seconds and it goes hardly noticed. Bartender caught the action, but blew it off I think. Rest of the set was horrible, bad vibe, royal screwing up - but we get through it.

I try playing mediator, but they're both drunk (and of course don't think they are). To make a long story short, in the middle of packing up they get into it again, the guitarist grabs the singer by the throat, flings him into the drums, the bouncers all run over - and a nice little scene is made. They apologize and try to brush it off, but the damage was done.

Sabotaged by my own people. The clubs call in a report on the bands, and my guess is - we blew it. Won't know till the beginning of next week - but damn, this really sucks. If people can't handle their drugs and alcohol, I really wish they'd get honest with themselves and do whatever they gotta do about their problem. A month ago my drummer woke up strapped to a hospital bed cause he passed out drunk and totaled his car while driving across the Brooklyn Bridge. That didn't change nuthin. The devil I tell ya......

Ahhhh... the life a musician.
    Gotta love it.
  2. Sorry to hear that man! Uch. That's why I don't drink... and b/c I'm underage :D Well, I hope you get to keep the gig man. Good luck!
  3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    my band gets ****-faced on stage all the time, and the whole show turns into one huge, fun, audience participation party. of course, we don't have egos either. get a guy with an ego problem loaded (err, your singer) and **** hits the fan. my old band had a lead singer like that, he was on X, but he thought it was ok, so i just drank like a fish.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I love to pay money to see sh**-faced bands. Never saw one that didn't suck royally. I played with drunken idiots in my first band. Not this time. After the scene Joe describes, the drunks would be fired, or I'd quit. One time. No second chance. Life's too short for that mindless crap.
  5. I wish that didn't sound so familiar.
  6. Look at it this way, at least no one was shooting at you. At my R&R gig 2 weeks ago shots were fired in the parking lot and strays came through the stage area while we were playing. I ain't goin' back there!
  7. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I hate it when that happens.
  8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I´m sorry to hear that!
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products

Seems all the club was interested in reporting about us was the fact that they overpaid us $40.00. I think we may have escaped this one - and my guitartis promised not to drink during gigs anymore. We'll see how that goes.
    I believe him for some reason.

As for that one - yeah, us too. Till the other night.
  10. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Singer too??
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  12. nooooo, he's too important.. hehe ;) I'd hope he wouldn't drink either!
  13. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    It's not the alcohol, it's who's drinking it.
  14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I think that Bruce L. might interpret this a little differently, based upon the part in bold! :D
  15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Whenever I go to a party and drink beer I end up having to take a piss about every five minutes. I couldn't drink while playing a gig just because I'd have to go take a wiz between each song.
  16. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Had a gig one time and, as usual, the singer showed up late. A little over an hour late to be exact. Luckily one of the other bands stayed on for a little longer, and the band after us went on a little early. Needless to say, we were all quite upset and decided to have a few drinks while we waited. Bad idea. Our drummer actually fell off the stool when he reached up to grab a cymbal and fell all the way through the front of his drum set, off the riser, and hit the singer who, although was coked up pretty good, did an amazing job of staying on the stage for a few seconds until he decided he wasn't actually going to be able to stay up and he just jumped off to avoid going face first into the concrete floor.

The moral: Alcohol/Drugs and gigs don't mix well...