Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Duck Dunn

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by codeine, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Other than in his book, which i cant afford cos i have just ordered standing in the shadows, where can i find out more about duck dunn. I have searched this forum and found that he is not really mentioned too much and mostly only in passing.

i have just recently got into his playing, through the blues brothers of course, so couldu pls help me out here.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    try here

great player, I don't know much about him either

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i admire Duck a lot. he's a master. i want that book too, but at the moment i am studying the standing in the shadows of motown book. i'll order that book in the next month.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I heard a while back that Duck has a terminal illness. Is this true? :(

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    here what i was able to find.
    hope that's true!

taken from an interview at:
    www.guitarist.co.uk/interviews/inter_page.asp?ID=3&PageNo=2

For the last five years Dunn's activities have been hampered by his recovery from throat cancer. He has no doubt that the illness was caused by the smoky environments in which he has played all his life - but he's philosophical about the price of his place in history.

6. thanks for all your help
    i am definetly going to have to save up for his book (after i get a neck shim and a new amp)

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Man, my Dad once bought this Telecaster Bass knockoff and the neck was out. He took it back to the store after his gig and they shimed the neck with cardboard. Needless to say, he didn't keep the bass very long.

8. What's wrong with cardboard? I've used it for 20 years.

9. Cardboard? i dont understand

i was under the impression that a shim was the removal of a portion of teh heel to adjust the angle

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, Duck lost a portion of his neck to cancer. Chris (his tech) said that he's doing alot better now. I'll ask Chris about his rig and health and all tomorrow.

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    keep us informed!!!

12. so he never smoked himself and this is all the result of passive smoking

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Everytime I have seen him live or on TV/Video he had a big ol pipe hangin outa his mouth.
    I thought that was his trademark for years?

What a monster player he is!