Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Ebay Weirdness: ESP started out of NYC???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 12, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Check out this Ebay ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2550256480&category=4713

the owner of this bass claims that ESP started out of 48th St. Guitars, and that Roger first used ESP "parts" to build his basses waaaaaaay back when...

fact or fiction???

urban legend/folklore, or truth?

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I always thougth that ESP were a Japanese company originally!

In the beginning, I thought Roger Sadowsky had used Warmoth parts. However he uses different sub-contractors nowadays!

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    nope esp started out as a custom only company.

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I heard from a reputable local guitar tech that he used Warmoth, so I second that. Bodies and necks...then Roger adds his paint job, pickups/preamp, and an awesome setup and Viola! Sadowsky. I have built three basses from Warmoth parts and they are all quality instruments.

5. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Jokerjkny,

I had spoken to a salesman about a year ago at 48th ST. Custom, and he told me that the owner of 48th is also the owner of ESP.

I don't know if this was a recent purchase or if he has been the owner eversince ESP started, But since ESP was a custom shop first and 48th is...anything is possible!

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    any of y'all see the new ESP ad (BP) with Tom Barney and his custom ESP 5'er with the fancy top and binding?

thought?

7. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    The only warmoth parts the Roger currently uses is (sometimes) if he needs a replacement neck for a repair job.