1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More economic to have a neck fixed or replaced?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Joel S., Aug 4, 2008.

1. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    With most "Fender" style basses this is probably a no brainer since there are tons of replacements. However, my Fender has a 22 fret neck, so finding a replacement is IMPOSSIBLE (all I find are extended fingerboards, so they won't work).

Here's the deal, I've noticed the neck hasn't done a good job of keeping the tension in the truss rod. After a while there's a noticeable bow in the neck that I have to take out again. I'm wondering if my last flight knocked it out of whack... When the neck is setup right, there's a buzz when I play the 7th and 8th frets on the G string. If I don't dig in, it's not a problem, only when I get goin does it become an issue. I raised the strings a little, but still...

So, basically I'm concerned the truss rod is busted (the allen nut is stripped a little, but it does grab the right sized allen wrench) and it needs fretwork. The neck isn't faultless aside from that, there are plenty of dings and dents on it, so I'm a little lost. I'm pretty sure I'll probably have to have a replacement neck made based off of the existing one if I decide to go that route, but still, I have NO idea what it would cost to get the frets leveled and have the truss rod checked out. Any help on costs or labor times would be greatly appreciated.

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021