More Ego!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Jan 24, 2005.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    BTW, depending on when you vierw these, I'm still fixing up the old sub-pages at my music site, so if there is something REALLY ugly going on with a sub page, it's probably an older one (like Sound Clips).
  3. From what I see, you've done a nice job. My only comment would be that I could do with more real-estate on your bass site - it looks like I'm watching a 9" TV in the middle of my 21" monitor…

Well, you did ask…

(Hey, I wish my sites were as good… I wish I sounded like you when I played… I wish… I wish… [feels a song coming on!])

- Wil
  4. flat five

flat five

Sep 1, 2004
    It fits my monitor perfectly.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The design is kinda cool, but on my 20" iMac screen the site looks like a meduim-sized microwave on a large field of black. Nuke that sucker up to fill the screen, and you're in business.
  6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Yeah -- this is the tricky part of this kinda design. With a static size like that you have to err to the small side. On a monitor running 800x600 pixels it'll fill the whole useable page when the browser is maximized (which, for the Mac crowd means 'fills the whole television :)) I think it'll seem less claustrophobic when I get the sub pages formatted for that type of area. I may scrap that design if it bothers too many folks.

I kinda like these 'handheld' type layouts for low-content sites, of which mine definitely is. We'll see how it goes, though. Thanks all for checking it out for me.
  7. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hey Ray, looks good sir.

The whole real estate issue is a tough one that I appreciate, since you're designing for monitors of all sizes and systems of varying specs. For instance, I see you're a fan of frame-based, and there are still alot of overly paranoid people who refuse to view frames. But you have to draw the line somewhere, and you can't please everybody all of the time, that's the web for ya. I'm currently of the opinion that you can safely design for 1024x768, partially because the 8x6 people are used to scrolling all over hell anyways. I'm working on three sites right now, 2 are at around 1000 pixels wide, and one is at 780. I have a couple of friends that are also big fans of small interfaces like you, and they get plenty of work. White space and open space are powerful layout considerations as well, like on your Irish Divas site.

One thing I would encourage is avoiding horizontal scrolls whenever possible, like the content on your home page. Humans hate horizontal scrolls. :p

If I can throw out one other note, is the black background thing. It's a good thing to avoid usually imho. For instance I needed a dark bg on the site, and Sam wanted that color scheme of black & dark red, so I used a pattern to break up the black harshness. Color makes people feel things, and black isn't a good feeling, know what I mean? A pattern or texture can make a small interface feel larger.

Anyhow, I could go on all day about this stuff, but if I were to say anything of value to a guy jumping into design, it would be study layout and typography. Reading a book or two on typography really helped me. For layout, I look to areas outside the web for inspiration mostly, like print ads, magazine layouts, tv commercials, and ads for movies really rock. It's all much like playing an instrument. The trends and gizmos aren't what matters, it's how you make people feel.

I wanna give you a couple of links to designers who I look to as outstanding layerouters: : a frames and flash kind of crew. : clean defined. : the photoshoppin' layout master.

A look thru their portfolios may give you some good vibrations.
    Nice job Ray!
  8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Wow -- great insights! Thank you for all of that, and it'll take me some time to work through and digest it all.

The Horizontal scroll thing is an IE PIA that I'm trying to figure out. The main graphic (Home) sux, but is a step toward what I want to do -- some cartoon-y kinda graphic lettering. I haven't Photoshopped a lot of type yet and have been hitting the Photoshop hangs to see what folks are doing. I just wanted something up for now rather than a blank page.

Still laying out the sub pages for the small format. Interesting challenge to get it all in and not feel like you're suffocating.

Originally I 'blew it' and had the graphic the right size for 10x7, but then resized for 8x6 after checking on how much scrolling was required at that size -- especially with the inline frame.

The 'black' thing is something I have to checkout as well. A lot of the Photoshop and graphic sites tend to go black as it shows off the wares a little better, but I see what you mean. Time to check out some cheerier designs. I recognized instantly what you are talking about in the way that my 'designs' site puts me in a different frame compared to my bass site at the instant the page is loaded.

As far as the inline frame thing, I'm keeping the site HTML and JavaScript only (No .NET), and wanted to avoid reloading / cache checking that happens when you use this heavy a graphic across many pages -- this can be really painful for dialup folks, thus iFrames seemed to me to be the best option. I've been checking out CSS page layout as well, but this is a HUGE can of worms and I have decided to take baby-steps on that front so that I can still spend some quality time with my bass and bed (not at the same time...).
  9. Hey Ray, I still got my Peavey T40! Did you keep yours? Best machine heads of any bass I've ever had, but the neck was too damn big, so like you, my main axe is now a Fender Jazz.

Nice site. Wish my diary was as full as yours...
  10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Ray. I like the site but we need more pix of your Sirleto !
  11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Naw -- the T40 is long gone. I only kept it for two or three years and then moved into a Fender Frankenstein. It was a '63 P body that someone had tried to refinish. They'd power sanded it against the grain and then brush painted it pea green. The neck was a '65 Jazz, red metal flake. I tried refinishing the body, stripping it and going at it with wood filler and it was only slightly better when I got done with it, although the color more closely matched the neck. The body was never worth a hill of beans, but the neck was awesome. I sold it to a student, who still has it, with a buy-back promise.

I gotta get more pictures of the Sirleto. I shy away from the camera as much as possible, so it'll be tough. Gotta get a press package together eventually, so I'll put those up when the day finally comes...