Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

more EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by used13, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Hey guys, I need some help.
    I bought an SWR mo bass and I love it, but I have one problem. I am very picky abort my EQ and I cant seem to get it right. What I need are some suggestions on rack-mount EQ's. My last amp was an Ampeg SVT400t and it had a small 7 band graphic on it and the sound was good but it didn't have enough push at 400 watts. I need to know some brands and makes of graphics and I really don't want 30 channels( I'm not THAT picky!). Rack mount is preferable and so I dont have any local options, I thought you guy's might have some advice.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    George.

2. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Used,

You might consider an Alembic SF-2 Superfilter. It's not a graphic eq per se, but it's a pretty amazing tone shaping device. They go for about $600 new or $300 - $400 used. It's pretty flexible in where you put it in your sound reinforcement chain. I use one and I can dial in many different tones.

Check out www.alembic.com for specs and www.bassnw.com for a retail or used source.

Bones

3. Rane PE17 parametric is what I use in my rack. 5 channels, fully overlapable, variable Q (bandwidth).

4. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I've got a dead mint ART 351 31-band 1 rackspace (no wall wart) EQ that I bought for the same reason (compensate for a preamp). Works beautifully, very quiet and flexible, I just have no need for it anymore.

I, too, didn't want to spend a ton to see if it made a difference (it did). Construction is good, pots are smooth, the price was right, and just playing with the sliders helps a little in "ear training," as far as being able to identify frequencies needing help.

$75 gets it shipped to your door UPS, lower 48. End of sales pitch!

I've heard great things about the Superfilter and all of Rane's products, but not had the chance to try them... yet!

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yamaha NE-1 Nathan East´s Tone Box.
    You wont need anything else.
    Go simple.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've been looking at EQ's just to think as a new toy... I think the Raven Labs True Blue EQ looks really sweet...

7. Going from the Ampeg to the SWR was a fairly drastic change all the way around. There is no way I would pack around an additional EQ, especially with that amp.
    I would continue to work with it.