1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More Examples of Wooten using this technique!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Magikern, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Magikern

Magikern

Jan 16, 2012
    I love the last part of this video 3.58-4.03 where Wooten is really playing fast with a really powerfull attack

Victor Wooten - Slap Bass Lesson.wmv - YouTube

Do you know any good examples of songs where he uses this technique?

2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Well ... he use that almost every time he does a solo ...

3. Magikern

Magikern

Jan 16, 2012
    Yes, but I was mostly thinking about songs where he plays scales as fast as in this video. I have never heard him doing that before ;)

4. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Can you get past VW doing this & make it you doing this? The 1st place I found to use Open/Hammer/Pluck was a prepared solo for Red Clay. Sooner or later you make it your own by folding the technique into what you can do spontaneously, in a jam. I have always found play-along & practice situations too confining to build confidence. Perhaps that's the obstacle you are facing now? It comes together, for me, when playing in a group. Probably because the group situation demands that it be practiced just enough to happen on muscle memory. YRMV It pays to have a backup plan rehearsed for those times when the prepared solo falls apart. :cool:

FWIW, choosing a song you know or play in a group will suit you better than limiting yourself to VW's choices.

5. Magikern

Magikern

Jan 16, 2012
    I am the kind of musician that needs constant inspiration from hearing other musicians play. I somehow always come up with new things when I listen to other players that are a lot better then me. ;)

I heard Wooten play something I never heard him play before and would like to hear him play other similar thing

6. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    That sounds like a reasonable approach, to me.

I listen to VW often but often cannot understand how he does what I hear. YouTube is a good resource for illustrations. When I do hear something I want to play, I experiment with variations on what my hands can already do until I find my way to play it, slowly. Then, it's a matter of practice, practice, practice, with a metronome. When that fails, I search for new techniques.

7. Magikern

Magikern

Jan 16, 2012
    Any good examples of Wooten clips on youtube? ;)

8. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Here is the search for "Victor Wooten" on the Youtube site;
    victor wooten - YouTube

I also like his Metronome lesson;
    Korg - Artist Details

Good hunting, :cool:

9. Magikern

Magikern

Jan 16, 2012
    I loved his metronome lesson ;)