Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Fender Q's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xb100, Jul 18, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ok guys, I made a thread about a week or so ago about fender basses.

I think I wanna get a fender deluxe P bass, but for about the same or close to the same price, I could get a Schecter Elite 4. It has a neck thru body 24 frets, emg's and overall if an awesome bass.

What do you guys think schecter or fender?

I'm also digging the 60's classics Jazz bass, the only problem is there are so many options of different basses I could get. It's hard picking which I want.

One thing I can tell you, is that I want my next bass to be a good gigging/practice bass and be able to maintain it self for a long time. I've been playing for 4 years this Xmas and I want to treat myself to an awesome instrument, I just need help decing which one to get.

Thanks for all your help and opinions.

-Rob

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Don't think of too many options as a negative thing.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Fender have best tone

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

I know being able to choose what I want is a good thing, it's just hard choosing.

5. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'll agree with you somewhat, I do like the tone that fender basses produce but, I do think there are other basses out there that to me would sound better, I just havnt found them yet.

6. Maybe to you, but not necessarily to everyone, the thread poster included.
    I really think you're going to have to let your ears do the deciding. The 60's Classic Jazz Bass will have a fairly mellow, warm tone as Jazz Basses with alder bodies and rosewood fingerboards often do. I have an alder/rosewood MIA Jazz Bass that I love for that warm, full bass tone. I string it with TI Jazz Flats for even more warm fatness.

That said, a Precision bass will have a distinctly different tone. The P pickup itself should give you the classic P-bass sound. The Deluxe P has the benefit of having a Jazz pickup in the bridge position. I'd personally love a P bass and the PJ combo is killer.

While I do not own a Schecter, I do own a bass with EMG J pickups and it's an entirely different beast than my Jazz Bass. It's a very modern sound, with lots of high-end clarity and low-end growl. For me, however, it did not have the fullness in the low-end that I wanted. It was tight, but not bloomy and I like the bloom. It's a great bass, but does not really fit in what I play.

Any of the basses will be a great bass to practice and gig with. You just need to let your ears decide which bass will best fit in the music you practice and gig to.

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Thanks alot man, I appreciate that reply, it helped me out alot, and the way you described the tone of the p and j combo is what I'm looking for.

Thanks alot, and if anyone else wants to chime in feel free.

-Rob

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

If a PJ combo is what you want, get the Fender American Deluxe Precision. I love mine.

9. Another PJ to consider would be the Fender Reggie Hamilton (not the Custom Shop one) from Musician's Friend. Found here. I'd love to pick up one of these. The only thing I'd think it's missing would be a passive tone control. I'm partial to Jazz-width necks, which is why I'd personally consider this over a Fender Deluxe PJ (American or not).