Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More for less, or Less for more?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsolex, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I'm talking in watts... Ok, I want the SWR Tower (800 watts), the 8x10 tower and 800 watt (8004) head. But I was reading a while ago on here that it might be better to go with a more expensive, less wattage amp, and it would be louder, or something like that. So heres my two options... Get the 800 watt SWR, or a higher quality Ampeg (or SWR) 400 watts (something less than 800, but no less than 400)... thanks, _-soto-_:bassist: :bassist:

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm a bit confused. You imply that SWR is both low quality and high quality in the same post.

Remember that a watt is a watt so an 800w amp should be louder than 400. How much louder? Well definitely not twice as loud, you need to multiply by 10 to double your volume, so 4000w would be twice as loud as 400w). Doubling yout watts gives you an extra few dB but much more headroom.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Sounds like he's debating on whether to get the 800w Workingman's stack or a less powerful but higher quality amp from the Professional Series for the same price.

...I think. :)

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I really have no idea what you just said.

BUT

More watts doesnt mean louder. it just means more headroom, get the amp that sounds BEST to you, and then if it isnt loud enough, hook it up to a P.A. With 4000 watts you could play in the middle of the sahara desert and be heard in california, its a matter of quality, not quantity.