Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More fun with AMP amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jkdahlman, Sep 11, 2005.

1. jkdahlman

jkdahlman Ambitious But Rubbish

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    For some reason the stars aligned last week and I snagged an AMP
    BH-260 & a 420 for a total of $200! The 260 looks rode hard and put away wet, but works fine. The 420 looks better & works but, looking under the hood, seems to have been fiddled with. Anyone have the manual & schematic for either one? I can reverse engineer them but, I'd rather have the orig. docs to stare at and make sure some solder monkey didn't get creative.
    These are the polar opposite from my Trace MkV pre/Bryston 4B rack.
    Way cool. I just wanted something small for duo & trio gigs. I tried the 260 into an Acme B2 for a jazz quartet gig. Dang it's loud. The sax player
    kept asking me to turn down. Cool. Now if I can just get my hands on the
    KB-400 I found I'll have the set.
    Had to tell someone.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I rode a BH-260 hard and put it away wet myself!!! Ran it into a couple Bag End cubes (S12 & S15)

Loud, punchy... killer amp! It's one of only a rare few pieces of old gear I wish I still had :meh:

I saw a KB-400 at a pawn shop 3 years ago for $150. Second guessed myself and walked away, ran back 3 days later but it was gone!

Dave Funk may have some docs, his thunderfunk head is an evolution of the BH-420

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You could always give Steve Rabe a shout at Raven Labs...

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have the 420 schematics (came with the amp when I bought it new 17 years ago), just been way too lazy to scan and post them somewhere. BTW, the 420 power amp schematic is also for the 260...the lower wattage is only because of reduced supply rails.

Maybe I'll get off my butt and do it this week.

PS just found an XB-15 cabinet a couple of weeks ago, figured I'd better get it since I might never see another one :cool:

5. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There's also a 220 watter that came before the 260, came in both head and combo versions.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Brian, any idea how similar the SL-1 is to the 420's preamp section?

I have an SL-1 and would like to figure out a way to modify the contour from on/off to variable (ala Thunderfunk or my Hartke HA4000)...

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I imagine Dave at Thunderfunk could be helpful with that request.,...

8. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've heard that the 420 preamp was modified a bit from the SL-1...the controls are the same so I'd assume the tweakage couldn't be major.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I got a BH-420 recently. The thing is sooo killer that my poor Kustom Groove Bass did nothing but sit, so guess what? I sold the Groove Bass and am looking for another AMP as a backup and use for practice. Any of you selling one, PM ASAP and I'll pay you a more than fair price!

10. jkdahlman

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD

Hey Brian,
    If you'll do the scanning, I can put them on the web for all to see.
    The 420 I got is in rough shape. Lots of rebuilding to do there. Right now I'm chasing the hardness/harshness in the top end of the 260. There's a fair amount of power supply junk floating around on the signal path.
    Getting better and better.
    John

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Brian was nice enough to copy lots of AMP info including the schematicsand send it to me, I've had it sitting on my desk for three years now. I'll scan the whole thing and email it to you if you want to host it.

Just for grins, here's one of my BH-420s with my XB-15 cab, closed and open.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18114

Attached Files:

12. jkdahlman

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD

That sounds great. I'm working on my new web site right now so the timing is perfect. Cool rig with the cab. :cool:
    John

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pm me with an email address.