Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Garage Band tomfoolery...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Feb 14, 2004.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Nice job, fun tune, great horns, funky bass! tell us more

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks! In case you didn't know, "Garage Band" is recording/looping software just introduced by Apple. All the bass is me playing my Cirrus 4 plugged straight into the computer. All the rest, including horns, is stuff from the software's loop/sample library...

Thanks for listening!

:)

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cool tune man. I dig it.

4. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I looked at apple's garageband site--turns out i can't use it on my 3 y.o. iMac :bawl:

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hmm, what are your iMacs specs? Do you not have DVD rom or something?

Although, even if you did manage to get it running, it'd run really really poorly. this thing stutters on my Powerbook 1.25 ghz g4 :eek: :(

Secretdonkey, www.macband.com and www.icompositions.com check 'em out :)

oh yeah, that track is SMOKING! I really dig it, great tone you got there.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is an awesome track. I wish I could play that well. Back to practice. GAS really gets in the way of practice.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I love that growly tone. It sounds GREAT. did you use a preamp or anything with that? Or did you just plug in direct?

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Garageband has software Amplification(so that you can just plug in direct), that gives you amplification and processing, it's very high quality stuff too, I don't know if SD used it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Whee! Thanks for listening and thanks for the kind words.

To answer some questions, what you hear is my bass (Peavey Cirrus 4) plugged into the (stock) soundcard of my G4 tower with a $3 1/4-to-1/8 inch adapter. All processing is 100% Garage Band. All bass tracks started with the "bright bass" preset, and I just tweaked the EQ, added a bit of compression, chorus and reverb here and there.

(Warning, glowing plug of Garage Band follows)... I am so stoked about GB because 1.) I've never used any recording software before, never even owned a multitrack recorder, and 2.) I don't own *any* effects at the moment, so the chorus, compression, reverb, etc. tweaks are not the product of a seasoned 'knob-twisting studio junky' by any means. In other words, it doesn't take a lot of experience to get good sounds out of this software! On top of that, my 'studio monitor' is a totally modest $50 speaker set from Best Buy kinda job. I *did* burn a copy and listen to it on a couple of different stereos before making final EQ tweaks, but rocket science it ain't! ;)

On a side note, I am pretty darn conflicted at the moment. I am on the brink of making a move on a new bass - got a Fodera Emperor mostly spec'ed out as one of my options - but after listening to some of the stuff I've recorded in the past few days, I've been tempted just to get a second Cirrus, one with a walnut body for a bit warmer sound than the one you hear on this track. I keep changing my mind! :meh:

11. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Great track, I really liked the tone.

12. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I thought all the slot loading iMacs had DVD-rom...:confused:

I used to have one, graphite, DVSE model, 500mhz, I doubt it'd run GB, but yeah, that's a shame...iBook g4s are cheap ya know and they come with GB installed :p

14. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Great, a goose I can't shoot now!! :bawl:

Some cool bass lines! How do you get your feathers to pop the strings like that? :confused: :p

15. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    The musicians in this are obviously talented, and the bass is cool, this just isn't my kinda music. Too repetitive and "done before" for me, but nonetheless good work!

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hehehe, that's because it wasn't real musicians, except the bass. :p

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks again everybody for listening, and even more for not saying it's awful! :D

Joe - I gots me some donkey hooves under them goose feathers, remember? ;)

18. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Must be tough getting between the strings, with those hooves and all. :meh: :D