More Gratuitous Sadowsky Butt-Kissing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjones, Apr 15, 2005.

1. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I know these basses are regularly worshipped on this board, but something happened yesterday that bears mentioning. The bass I use for practice at home most of the time is a Fender Roscoe Beck IV. I really like it, both in how it plays and how it feels.

I've been working for a week or two on a song I found hard to play well-it's got a lot of fast and tricky parts, and has been hard to get down exactly the way I want it. So yesterday, because I'm going to be using my Sad PJ4 at the gig, I practiced with it on this song for the first time.

It was easy. I played the part I had been struggling with on a perfectly good bass. However, something about the ergonomics of the PJ made the song almost effortless. There actually is something special about these basses, for me. I guess that's why I have a fretless on order and will never part with my PJ.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

a Sad will always have that "something". ;)
  3. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    My own "Bassic Era" is divided in B.S. and A.S. (Before Sadowsky - After Sadowsky). How sad were B.S. times ... :D
  4. i just dont like the square fingerboard ends of sadowskys....that and i understand what ya sayin.....i have a bastard p bass put to gether from about 4 different basses (samick neck) and my wrist hurts after about an hours playing......nothing like that happens on the KSD
  5. Pinky? i love that bastard!
  6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm not surprised on this one, the RB5 is an excellent bass but the necks have always been a little "clubby" too me. And the Sadowsky, what can you say? Dial in perfect. The bad thing about Sadowsky is you get one you immediately want another one!! :D
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My favorite basses are my Fender RB5 and Sadowsky P5. The Sadowsky has the sexiest playability I've found: comfy fingerboard edges, satin finish. But while the neck on the RB5 isn't as refined, it's still a kick-a$$ bass: plays and sounds great.
  8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think it has to do with fretwork, setup, neck profile, the satin finish, and the response of the strings. There are other basses out there that are as good in this regard (SSD comes to mind), but none better that I've played.
  9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Smash, great questions. I think the first difference is definitely the neck. I believe the Sadowsky has a light nitro finish as opposed to the poly Finish on the Fender. (On his website FAQs, Roger says he uses nitro on the necks and a light poly on the bodies.) That is definitely the first thing. Next, the shape of the neck is less deep, which makes it more comfortable for my average sized hands.

Setup is also a factor, but there's not much I can do about that. IIRC, your problem with the RB was intonation, and I think that's fine on my Beck (and irrelevant for this discussion). The action is clearly lower for the Sad than the Fender, but I have TI Jazz Flats on the RB, which becuase of their looseness need a higher action. Also, as suggested by pickles, the frets are less clunky (lower, narrower) on the Sad and that helps as well. The sides of the neck feel more sanded down as well as opposed to the sharp turn on the side of the Beck so that it's easier to get around on.

Look Smash, I agree with you, there's no such thing as magic or mojo in real life. It's just that attention to dozens of small details, some of which are not things you would immediately think of, makes it feel like something is special when you pick up a particular instrument. My Sadowsky has that attention to detail, tone, and playability in spades.
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I know for a fact that Roger pays Disney for sone of Tinkerbell's Pixydust, so they're definitely magic. :)

I love my Sadowsky 5's, as you all know but I'd still love to get an RB5. IMO, it's one of the best Fender basses I've played. I just missed one that FunkyCarnivore sold on the Pit. :(
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Dont go selling that to the enquirer :D
  13. huh? :eyebrow:
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    $760 shipped!!!!!! :crying:
  15. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    I am soooo bumbed about that auction. I was watching it at work and was going to bid but then I got distracted by work related stuff :mad: and missed the end of the auction. :mad: :mad: :mad: