More Growl, Lindy Fralin or Fender Custom Shop 60's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 12, 2005.

1. anyone? So far I'm finding the Lindy Fralin's to be a bit smoother then I'd like. Does anyone know if the Fender CS 60's have more of a "textured", growly sound?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the pickups forum isn't exactly high traffic enough to need a bump after two hours...

I've only had brief experience with Fralins, but have liked the CS 60's that I had in a MIJ '75 RI. Had more growl for sure IMO.

Now I've given you my advice, this is where you now ignore it and do something else... ;)
  3. I apprecaite any advice, belive me I do. I played a fender jazz w/ QP's in it and didn't like em'. I'm not going to wait for Aero's 6-8 weeks and if i hate them, I'm stuck.
    I'm sure the Aero's are great though, which do you have experience with?
    Type 1's? Type 3's look like they would fit the bill better no?
  4. bump! cmon people!!!!

:) thats for you davidmwilson
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I love the growl of a bridge position Bartolini (old P in a J case style)
  6. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I just got my rewound fender mustang pickups back from Lindy and was blown away by how powerful they were. The Mustang, mind you, is (was) a student guitar (bass). The original windings were ruined when I got this a few month's ago so I don't know how they fared but I've heard that they were weak. They are similar to a pbass except 2 oval coils instead of 2 rectangular coils.
    I also have a p copy that I put SD 1/4 er's in and really like the change those gave over the stock but the Fralins in the mustang have better harmonics and more output . It doesn't beat the tone or output of my 18v Carvin lb70p but that's not a fair comparison or the one your looking for.
    All I'm saying is the $124 was money well spent on the Lindy Fralin rewinds that I got for my 66' Fender Mustang.
  7. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    If I read you right, you may be barking(little pun,there) up the wrong tree. I never would mistake the Fender CS as textured growly. The Fralin can be whatever you order but I believe you are looking for the active Bart or EMG low/bark. Hard-knee compression built into the preamp. You can get a very similar "growl" with a good preamp/EQ system from a few other people and use pretty much whatever pickup you want. Shields UP, Mr. Spock!! IMHO
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, you could sell them easily. But that's the situation with ANY pickups you buy.
    As I previously said, type 1's. Maybe type 3's would be better, I don't know. Since I haven't tried them I can't comment.

As has been said, a number of pickups will get something in the ballpark of what you want. I can't tell you what you'll like, all I and anyone else here can do is point you in the direction of options and then it's up to you.
    At the end of the day, you almost certainly ARE going to have to try a few sets of pickups until you find what you want. I've done that before, it can be expensive for sure but when you find the sound you're looking for it's worth it IMO.
  9. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    If you want growl go with DiMarzio model J pickups.
  10. I just received a set of Fender Custom Shop 60's Jazz Bass pups as a replacement for my 80's Squier (good bass, believe me). I've only played them for a couple of minutes, but they sound pretty damn good! Excellent harmonics and beatiful, not harsh treble. The low end sounds good too. They cost me 99 usd from Warpdrive Music. A fair price IMO.