1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More GROWL Please...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by brucebruce, Apr 9, 2009.

1. brucebruce

brucebruce

May 26, 2008
    I have a Fender Geddy Lee J Bass and a MIM Fender J... and I know that they are well known for their GROWL... now obviously amp and EQ setting come into play (I've got a Genz Benz GBE 600 and Hartke VX410)... but I'm just not getting enough GROWL...

I have just added a Sadowsky Pre Amp to my pedal board and that has certainly provided me with a lot more punch (incidentally, I'm VERY impressed with this pedal)...

I don't want to add dirt/drive etc... just want to make my signal more aggressive... I know many of you will immediately point out that changing the pickups is the obviously solution (or pickup the EBMM Stingray listed in my signature) but at this stage I'm not willing to do so... having said that... does anyone have any pedal suggestions...

2. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Have you thought about booster?

3. brucebruce

brucebruce

May 26, 2008
    ^ ... that's a thought (one I've considered)... I'm concerned about adding additional noise with a booster pedal (I have looked at the BB Xotic Bass Pre)... those 'ol Jazz pickups are noisy enough... any other thoughts in the pedal department (?)

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The BB is more of a dirt pedal than a pure preamp, the RC Booster may be better if you want to stay clean.

5. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    EHX LPB or the new EHX Mole work great. I've got a BYOC Triboost which is a Rangemaster, LPB, and clean mosfet boost all rolled into one. The LPB can get some mean growl going on if you want it. As far as noise, are you running your fenders with only one pickup, or with the volume of one higher than the other? Noise is going to happen with single coils which is an unavoidable thing and is just the nature of the beast. You could also try lower action, digging in, raising the pickups, plucking/picking closer to the bridge pickup, or changing strings. :D

6. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Are you completely in love w/ your Hartke cab? IME Hartke is on the warm side and doesn't allow much gritty growl w/ clean settings. I went to Ampeg after my Hartke 1x15 and 2x12...

7. brucebruce

brucebruce

May 26, 2008
    ^... thanks for the feed back TBers... in terms of the Hartke cab... I'm not willing to upgrade until I can layout the cash for a Mesa/MarkBass/Ampeg... But the warm nature of the Hartke is actually why I've held onto it for so long (despite that particular cab being considered an 'entry level' model)...

8. the_ruckus

the_ruckus

Dec 28, 2008
    Detroit
    I had good luck with a duncan pickup booster with my old jazz

9. brucebruce

brucebruce

May 26, 2008
    ^... which model Duncan booster... was it tailored for bass ?

10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I had a Geddy jazz (and now a Ric) and I was totally against adding overdrive/dirt to my signal...just didnt think it was "me". However, I just bought a Line 6 bass pod xt live pedal board and played around with some of the "drive" settings last night at practice and wow! It wasnt distorted like a guitarist, it just added some growl and everyone there raved about how good it was.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I find that most of the "growl" in our favorite bassist's sound is none other than...wait for it... fret buzz. No kidding. Do you think that Geddy and Chris Squire and Entwistle(sp) used a bunch of stomp boxes and processors back in the day????? Heck no! They lowered the action and let her rip! Just my 2 cents. Other than that, maybe you could try any number of the clean boost pedals used by guitarists. Don't know what boost and growl have to do with each other but there you go.

12. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Mmm... agreed. I actually love me a little bit buzz.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Growl has alot to do with midrange. Have you tried cranking your mids on your amp? I'd start there.

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    What are the settings on your bass? An emphasis on the bridge pickup will allow for more growl. Even your technique and where you're playing on the bass makes a difference. Try playing closer to the bridge.

If you play towards the neck or emphasize the neck pickup, it will sound bigger and thicker, but less growly, IMO. If you have the pickups balanced at 50/50, try changing where you're playing.

The growl starts with the instrument. See what you can do there first. If that doesn't help enough, then turn up the mids or the drive/gain on your amp!

15. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Well, Chris Squire used pedal distortion for sure.

16. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Not sure he used a pedal but, Geddy used distortion as well. Find the thread where I posted links to the Moving Pictures isolated tracks and you will hear a killer growl!

17. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    For the record, Squire has used lots of stompboxes for a long time. Geddy used or uses a Sansamp. But fret noise is part of the sound too.

I agree to start with the bass setup and technique, though. Raise the pickups, if they're low. Are you using steel strings?

18. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    What is it with this desire for "growl"? Why would you want your bass to sound like a dog? Personally, I like a little more "meow" in my sound (or is that "mwah"...). But seriously, the RC Booster is the best pedal I've ever used (and I'm not one for pedals) - it just seems to make my basses sound BETTER.

19. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Yes to fret buzz. You may think that it is too much when just practicing but once your in the mix with the rest of the band, it adds a very nice growl. Also, always a fresh set of strings before major gigs and recording. I change my strings out once a month. (when your woman is Bi#*!ching abou things, It's time for a new set of strings). Guaranteed once a month.

20. haha bad examples to choose they all used a fair few effects