Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More hairstyling questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petebass, May 19, 2003.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Has anyone ever had their hair chemically straightened?

I was chatting with someone from the crowd at my Sat gig. She's a hairdresser who swore it would solve all my problems. But she could have just been trying to drum up some business. Apparently its like getting a reverse-perm......

2. You have hair problems? :confused:

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Unless you think hair has something to do with music (and it would be really sad if you did), you want this to be in OT

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I know a girl who did that... it looks great.

5. Suburban_punk

Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    Denver
    Ok..I'll answer. Even though others have heart burn with the question.

I asked my wife and she actually did this years ago. The process works but beware...LOL..She said he hair looked like a horse and a Barbie Doll combined.

I guess its VERY damaging

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If I thought the two were related I woulda posted in Miscelaneous. I just figure that someone on TB would have been through this given that image can at times, wether we like it or not, be a part of the music industry. Ask Britney.......

7. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Who?

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    But you did post it in Miscellaneous. I moved it to OT, hence my comment.;)

9. IMO, the real question here is more one of whether you really want straight(er) hair than of damage to it...

Let me start by saying that chemical straightening can cause damage to the hair; however, when done right with quality products and properly conditioned afterward, your hair will survive and be none the worse for it as far as your hair's "health" is concerned.

If you're convinced that your curly hair constitutes all of your hair "problems," then go for the straightening. My hair is naturally very curly (the severity of the knap ranges from white-guy afro to very wavy depending on how I choose to manipulate it) and I did the chemical straightening thing once about a year and a half ago. What did I learn? That I really love my natural hair!

That's not to say the straightening was a bad thing. I started with thick, curly, coarse hair (the type that doesn't move much even with no fixatives applied) and ended with thick, medium-wavy, coarse hair with considerably less body than it had prior to the straightening. My dilemma with my more manageable mop was that, without styling products, it was frizzy (as it had always been) and without the semi-structure of my natural curl it looked very limp. With styling products, it had no body, or at least seemed that way to me, having lived the previous years of my life with ragingly full hair. I realized after a week of frustration trying to find a product that would allow my hair control with its previous fullness that I really did like my hair the way it had been. Since that realization, my hair has grown to a respectably shaggy five inches (though it looks about three with the shortening effect of a semi-tight curl) and, for the most part, resides calmly atop my head for the amusement, adoration, or aggravation of others.

So, to recap what I hope was an informative or at least somewhat helpful post, if straight hair is really what you want, do it. Simply keep in mind that it will not change the texture of your hair, only the curl. If your hair is curly, dry, and coarse (which isn't always a bad thing), it will be straight, dry, and coarse (which is much more often a bad thing). Just be sure your sylist friend knows her stuff and uses a good product. Also be sure that you use conditioner; many otherwise well-groomed men loathe spending any time conditioning their hair. Conditioner is a must for any chemically treated hair and a good idea for most natural hair.

If you'd care to describe the hair you have and the hair you want, it would be easier to make reccomendations. Our hair has something in common, maybe a lot, and I've been through a myraid of products, styles, etc., so feel free to ask anything you might be wondering about. If nothing else, I can ask my hairdresser next time I'm due for a shearing.

-Seth

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oops Sorry..... must cut back on the drugs (another compulsory music accessory ) ;)

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Dude, it sounds like she was just hitting on you and you missed it...I'm sure your hair is fine.

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Walbodiddy, you're a treasure. Thanks for that.

From what I can tell our hair is curlier than mine. Mine isn't straight, it isn't curly, it's got that ****ty wave that can't decide. I'm not affraid of contitioner (I use it already). The general consensus amoung friends is that my hair lookes better when it's straignter (or dreadlocked but that's not an option due to my current job).

I think I'm gonna give it a go....... how long can I expect it to last before it needs to be re-done?

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually it was me hitting on her initially. Then I spotted the wedding ring so I backed off. But we had a nice chat.....

14. It should be noted that the great jazz saxophonist Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson earned his sobriquet due to the effects of excessive use of hair-straightening products.

15. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    That's a nice little bit of jazz trivia I didn't know about. I guess you really do learn something new everyday. Good one, Smug Man!

16. Petebass -

Hehe... I've had sporadic moments of insanity in which I've considered dreads myself. I really enjoy seeing a well-maintained head of dreads, though most people seem to think well-maintained and dreads don't belong in the same paragraph. Working in the financial field, even though I am just tech. support, has kept my naps dread-free (though whether that's fortunate or not is a topic of highly biased debate by many of my friends).

How often you'll need it re-straightened depends on your hair's length, rate of growth, and texture along with how obsessive you are about keeping all curl out. With your "indecisive wave," and assuming you wear it a little long (I believe I've seen mention of that in previous posts), you'll probably need re-straightening every 2-3 months. Longer hair pulls some of the curl out of the root, so the longer you wear it, the less re-straightening you'll need.

Good luck! Finding the hairstyle you want can be more frustrating than the search for the perfect bass tone, though hopefully far less expensive!

-Seth

17. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I did it before. But I had blond bleached hair prior to it as well. Hair was at approximately 4 inches in length. All I can say is that the end result was not too pretty. Lots of the bleached hair melted together and ended up being cut off, thus my hair was reduced to 1/2 inch all around.

I bet if your hair was not chemically treated prior to the straightening it would last. Its just that once you do that stuff, the hair becomes really weak and you need to be careful about not being to rough with it combing or brushing, which I never do now since I have short hair.

18. I rather prefer her hair prior to the straightening...

Not that this in any way affects the content of the article. ;)