Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

more head and cab recomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McCalister999, Jul 20, 2005.

1. I've been looking at Avatar speakers and had my eye on the Hartke 2000, mainly because of the low price. Is it worth it? I don't have too much to spend, ~550-650, but should I go with a higher wattage head? Plus, I was looking at th e B410 delta cab, anyone have experience with it? Any other suggestions on either head or cab?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    A good, loud Avatar cab will run you $300-ish. Pushing your budget to the upper limit leaves you with $350 for an amp. You could get yourself a nice used amp for that price. Something from Ampeg, Genz Benz, or Kustom would do you fine. Nothing wrong with the Hartke either.

Is the Hartke 2000 with 200 watts at 4ohms, and 120 at 8ohms going to be loud enough for you?

-Mike

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I just checked out the Avatar website. You can get yourself the Ashdown MAG300H, which is a good quality loud amp for $268 shipped when you buy a cab. Get the Ashdown along with one of those 212's. You'll be under budget, own a nice rig, and be loud enough.

-Mike

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'd save up some more personally, I've been in the same situation. I would go with a kustom groove bass they run around 550-600$ and then add a avatar 212 or 410. You would have to save up close to another 500-600$ for that, but I think it would be more economical to buy a better, more effcient head now then have to go and shell out more $$ when oyu need to be louder.

Just my 0.02$

-Rob

edit*

Heres a link to kustom's groove bass stuff.

http://www.kustom.com/products/bass_amps/groovebass_prod.asp

5. +1

6. thanks for the help, but what's the difference between the B212 Delta and Neo?

edit
    and if I got the b212, should I get the 4 or 8 ohm cab?

7. The neo cab just came out. It may be a while before someone can give a comparison between the two.

I would contact Dave at avatarspeakers.com and ask him. He's a real nice guy and won't steer you wrong.

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well right off the bat the new neo will weigh less.
    If you want a light and modular rig, get neo cabs, but if weight isn't an issue don't worry about it.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Right off the bat, the Neo is ten pounds lighter than the Delta. As mentioned, since it is so new it remains to be seen as far as tone differences.

If you never plan to add another cab, get the four ohm to pull the max power from your amp. Then again, I think the Ashdown does the full 300 at any ohm load.

-Mike

10. will I lose much sound if I go with the 8 ohm cab? I'd hate to get the 4 ohm then realize I want another cab and have to get 2 more instead.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If I understand correctly, that Ashdown will do 300 watts regardless of if it is an eight or four ohm load. Seeing how you are already thinking about adding a cab, get the eight.

-Mike

12. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    The mag 300 is 300 watts @ 4 ohms.

Just wanted to verify.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I would stay away from the Hartke 2000. I use one as my practice amp right now and it just doesn't have enough power. I have to roll off all the bottom end and most of the highs to be audible and even then I clip a good deal. I've used this with a 4ohm 410 and a 4ohm 115 and get the same result.

I would get something with 300-400 watts minimum.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thanks. I sent an e-mail to Ashdown since I was curious of the actual power at eight ohms. The reply I received from them said the MAG300H will do approximately 185 watts with an eight ohm load. Now, I know. :D

-Mike

15. hmm... Is 185 watts loud enough to be heard? I'm thinking of just going with the 4 ohm.

16. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    A 410 would be good for a 4-ohm cab. I dont know about the 212, you may want something in the future. Are you settled on 12ers?

17. toug

toug

Apr 12, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Depends where you are playing. If you are in a little bar or something without a PA it will be a pretty close call. How many people in your band? What kind of music do you play?

Oh yeah, keep an eye out for ebay too. I was in the EXACT same position as you a few weeks ago and almost bought a behringer bx3000t, but I ended up waiting it out and picking up an SWR workingman 4004, which is a 400watt cab.

If you plan to get another cab later on, definitely get the 8ohm. First of all it will ensure your gear will still be useable when you get another cab, and it will push you to save up for that extra cab. However, if you are a hobbyist and playing at home with no band or no intetions to tour, get the 4ohm just so you can get the max out of your head now.

And remember. http://www.harmony-central.com is your best friend ;)

18. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    If you like the Hartke sound... and if you want a tube preamp, zZounds.com has been selling Hartke 3500 amps (the old design) for $300 with free shipping. I got one because I was in a similar situation as you. The 3500 will do 240 watts at 8ohms which is good enough for me. And I like Hartke for a dependable, decent tone. Though people really like Ashdown, too.

Try to play your options as much as possible before you buy... I found out that it wasn't worth it for me to save up for an Ampeg because it wasn't the sound I was going for (no dig on Ampeg, just not my thing).

And always keep on an eye on ebay and your local used gear shops (as someone previously mentioned). Once you know what options you like you may be able to find a deal... If you got time you can put together a damn all right rig for $600.

19. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I play in a band with 2 guitarist powered by 212 120 watt combos, and I have a peavey tnt 115. I can be heard MILES away, I just have to EQ my stuff correctly.