Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More "headless" talk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Jun 1, 2004.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Ok, lately I saw more and more threads in which heald'ess basses were brought to the discussion. I'm a huge fan of headlesses myself and still looking for a system that will suit my requirements to build more of them.

Now I already asked what you guys thought about headless and today i'm wondering more particularly what you think about more radical designs like the one picture below and built by my friend David King.

[​IMG]

This is David B model.

Any comments?

Peace,
    JP

2. Hey JP,

I really like the design of that bass..its probably very well balanced (even for a headless as they tend to be better balanced than headed)

For me tho i do prefer my headless bass to have a full sized body.. the Status King Bass Artist and the Sei Flamboyant being my personal favs...i find these smaller bodie'd steingbery esq basses are a little clumsy to hold...but the sound produced are just as good...and for anyone (unlike me) who managed to pull off the look without looking like a sillehh moo will look cool as :)

I like the postioning of the controls as well along the top edge...but for me that would be useless for slap...when i play slap i have a style like Mark King so i tuck the bass under my arm and into my body moore..giving huge flexaibilty...and i have a feeling i would detroy some switches hehe :p....

Wonderufl Bass and i am looking forward to a Headless Plumm i think that design would work best for you as a headless....

ps... Jon Shuker told me to say hi :p:p...

3. OwO

OwO

Apr 23, 2004
    like this ??? :D :D :D

[​IMG]

4. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    are you going ot create a whole new shape for a headless design? or will you modify one of your other shapes?

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I dig headless basses, but I'm not too crazy about that King model. :meh:

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I have no plans for creating a new model. At some point, when i have a system I like all models will be available as headless. Not the point of this thread though.

I'm just wondering about how "fashionable" those more extermes designs are and in particular what you thing about David's interpretaion ;)

I kinda like it myself. Nice alternative to the steinberger stick shape.

Peace,
    JP

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

It looks like it fixes one of the major (at least to me) ergonomic issues with the Steinberger-like boat paddle headless basses by including the upper horn. The original Steinbergers had an interesting solution with their pivot plate. I've had a couple of the Steinberger Spirits and having the strap button that far down the neck (instead of around the 12th fret where a "standard" bass upper horn puts it) shifts the neck a bunch to the left which can bug some people (like me).

Aesthetically I don't like this body design much (but really like some of the other David King body designs). I think something like the Ibanez "Bean" Musician bass shape (or the current Dean Razor) would be a good compromise - more "standard" look with upper horn for balance but downsized and lightweight.

The Steinberger XZ shape doesn't have a long enough upper horn for me.

8. I'll go on record as to say that body shape is horrible. Not JP's, the other one he linked. Waaay dumb, but to each his own.

peace.
    Ron

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think that design looks practical - and ugly. I don't dig it.

I like the headless basses with bodies, like the Status stuff and the Steinberger XMs. The balance is the thing.

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I always liked Manring's "Vinny" bass..

[​IMG]

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yeah, that is cute.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I dig headless. My son has an old steinberger that he/ I is/am enjoying.

Don't really dig that King tho. Guess I'm more a Status type of person.

13. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Maybe if King thinned out that upper horn a bit. Its that oversized horn that's throwing the looks off that bass. Of course, this would require some rearranging of the controls. Perhaps using concentric knobs would make matters easier. I think this could be a handsome enough bass it just need a little nipping and tucking.

r

14. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    The David King bass JP showed isn't to my tastes, but this one is fantastic looking!

Ron :smug:

15. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed! Thats a big improvement. Very cool.

Another Ron

16. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm a big fan of headless basses, and I'm also a big fan of the Zon "Vinny" model. I think a downsized body makes more sense to me, especially for travel purposes. The Vinny can be placed in an overhead bin of an airplane which to me makes it very practical. I would vote for a downsize body design, not quite as drastic as the King, but more like the Vinny.

17. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Can anyone name (and/or picture) a poor man's "Vinnie" bass? The best deal I think going is likely one of those Spirit basses (Korean Steinberger ala Gibson). On the other hand, I've heard the string spacing is a wee bit on the tight side.

r

18. Hi JP,
    My favorite King shape is his "D" model.

19. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I don't have pics because I haven't bought one (yet). But the Yamaha BX series (here's a 5 that went on ebay) or the Ibanez Axstar series (here's a 4 that went on ebay) are interesting. Although I don't know how affordable they are these days. I also fear the "custom" bridge and pickups on them as opposed to the more common Steinberger clones that use Steinberger licensed hardware. I think a Spirit with some kind of extension or homemade pivot plate is how I'll go eventually (since the "real" L series Steinbergers are way out of my reach)

20. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I don't think I'd like that particular model King bass, visual aesthetics aside, because it looks like it would be uncomfortable. The bass side lower bout is an important part of the body because it is where your arm rests. On that bass, or on a Steinberger, it's just missing - leaving your arm floating in the air.

A nice angle on that area of the body, such as on a J or a Plume is far more comfortable.