more hiphop!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Vorago, May 8, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm absolutely digging The Roots, I like AtQ too, and I'm a big fan of the early Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). I like my hiphop rather "sec", drums, some bass, a sample now and then. I don't like those big fat "westcoast" gangsta funk productions like dr Dre etc..That's why I don't like Iron Flag by the Wu as much as I liked the first album, it's still very good, but I miss the vibe that was on the first album.

So I'm looking for bands (crews wathever) with the same attitude, drums, bass, some sampling, strong mc's and not too many b*tches and pimps ;)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My all-time favorite crew is Hieroglyphics. Specifically Pep Love.
  3. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You should also check out:
    Aesop Rock - One of the most underrated emcees out today.

Cannibal Ox

Kool Keith (Dr Octagon)

Living Legends

The Pharcyde

I can't think of anymore right now, but that should keep you busy for a little while. Enjoy
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Aesop rock is really interesting because, if you listen to him... he doesn't really rhyme. Like, he does, but his cadence and rhythmic structure are usually so unconventional that it doesn't feel like he is rhyming at all, and sometimes he outright just doesn't.

But the thing is... it doesn't matter! he has such a strong flow, and such a great delivery, and a really excellent voice. It doesn't matter that he doesn't really rhyme, because you just get so mesmerized by his flow.

Angry music though, aesop, I can't really listen to all that much of it.
  5. Biggie Smalls.....
    He really swings, doesn't he?
  6. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Despite the content of his stories, Biggie had a great style and his producers were pretty decent. I would have loved to have heard him with a live band.

If you're not hung up on pure hip hop, check out Ozomatli.
  7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Plus oneses!

Also, if you dig Aesop Rock, El-P has a similar style and did the production on Cann Ox's album.

Also, Company Flow has a Wu-Tang/Fugees thing going on that's got massive drum beats.

Also, MF Doom's aliases: Madvillain and Viktor Vaughn are essential. MF Doom's own albums are good as well, but the production on his first album, "Operation: Doomsday" can be a little cheesy, but his skill is unquestionable.
  8. frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    If you like wu-tang and haven't heard liquid swords and only built for cuban linx, check those out. here are some other great albums...

jean grae -- bootleg of the bootleg ep ... best female rapper ever

immortal technique -- revolutionary volume 2 political rap album I've ever heard (PE included). this guy is freakin intense.

aesop rock -- labor days mentioned above, his flow is incredible. you can't ignore it.
  9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm now listening to Aesop Rocks, and I have to say; this guy rules! Seriously, Allmusic called his album "over the top" but I dig it.

I also heard Illmatic by Nas, and I hear he is a great rapper and lyricwriter, but I don't like the laidback feeling on that album. Like someone said, it's too "weeded out" ;)
  10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    +1 for MF Doom...If you like early wu-tang, you should love him.

Gangstarr- every album.
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    For old-school laid-back hip-hop reminiscient of Gang Starr and Tribe Called Quest, check out People Under The Stairs. They're not as out there as some of the Def Jukies, but they are extremely consistent. You'd think that doing the same kinds of beats and the same kinds of rhymes would get old, but they're fantastic at what they do.

Great soundtrack for summer.

Also, I notice I haven't mentioned Thaione Davis, who IMHO has the best voice in hip-hop (beating out Mos Def). He's a fantastic MC and producer to boot. Check him!

In fact, now that I think about it, Chi-town is the place to look for solid underground hip-hop.
  12. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Don't for get Digable Planets. The're old, but the grooves and samples are tight.
  13. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Dead Prez is another group that is worth checking out.

People under the Stairs + 1. They are awesome.

Oh I couldn't forget some of the early Rakim albums. He is the grandfather of flow.
  14. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Couldn't agree more about Hieroglyphics. Except I've always been a big fan of Del the Funky Homosapien. His stuff with Hiero and his solo albums are cool. Check out Both Sides of the Brain and No Need for Alarm.
  15. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.