More holes than swiss cheese??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Feb 19, 2006.

1. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
  2. Looks like a routing job gone to hell. The bass looks half decent with the pickguard on but man it sure looks bad with it off. The headstock logo is gone and I would never buy a vintage bass with no headstock logo but that's just my personal preference. Overall it looks like the bass has held up well through the years and if indeed it is a Fender it would be worth looking into.
  3. pbzep0670

Dec 2, 2004
    Harriman, TN
    I'm certainly skeptical...
  4. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    The pic of the body with the pups out looks like you can see brush marks. Looks like it's been hand painted with a brush with the light hitting it like that.

Then again, for $20... :)
  5. Best I can tell it looks period correct although My guess is it's a refin. The neck and headstock appears to have been stained and what's all that light color under the pickguard? Is it wood filler? Every old Fender I've owned or worked on was finished all over with no spots under the pickguard like that.

Oh yeah, I've never been able to remove a decal by cleaning. Maybe sanding and staining!
  6. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I have asked the seller for the name and contact details of the 'Fender representative' who authenticated the bass. I also asked whether or not there was an appraisal done and certificate issued. Wanna bet I get nowhere on both questions?
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    DEFINATELY a 'refin' and I use that term loosely. I've seen fender factory refins and custom paint jobs, and that's def. not one of them. Paint the whole neck?!?!?. And the tape job under the pickguard is something fender would never do.

Yes, they did overpaint instruments...but not like that! The color isn't right for burgundy mist either...especially as it should be 'aged' by yellowing the clear coat.
  8. Exactly. Very first thing I thought when I saw it.
  9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I think it looks like a home made bass gone wrong.
    Also, without the Fender Decal on the headstock, it's a bit fishy.

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Did Fender ever do painted necks on a P-bass like that?

It looks to me like some time around 1970 some one attacked it with a can of Krylon. I mean seriously-- spraying the neck and body of a bolt-on while bolted together?
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks like BS from top to bottom.
  12. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Is it me or does it look like someone didn't have a router, so they took a chisel to the pup cavity?
  13. verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    I agree With Figjam Looks like pure fertilizer to me to.
    the "Pick Wear" looks like a sand job.
  14. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Painted on neck except at the neck rout? Paint on the truss rod nut? Brush marks on the body? Seems pretty sketchy. It might really be a '61, but it definitely looks like someone tampered with the paint job.
  15. I'd bet you could strip that cheesy rattle can paint job fairly easy.:D :p :rollno:
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

In a word, NO. They didn't paint necks like that.

It does look like a 60's P to me from the details...but just poorly and amaturely painted.
  17. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    41 dollars for a 61 Pbass, i can smell the fish from here

18. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Two things:
    "Check the neck pocket. If before 1963, it should be fully painted. If late 1962 or later, look for the "paint stick" shadow. "
    "What is the film thickness of the finish? Fender used as little paint as possible, and hence as few coats as possible. Also with time nitrocellulose paint shrinks. This will give an extremely thin film thickness. If the paint is thick, then the finish is not original (even on original Fenders with multiple finishes, the film thickness is still very thin)."
    Both from the link he provided about vintage instruments. That "burgundy mist metallic" seems a little thick don't you think.
    Plus, there is no finish checking that I can see at all. That's a huge red flag. Those nitro coats check like crazy even on "closet classics".
    I don't know...I could be the real deal, but I sincerely doubt it. As for the price, his reserve isn't even close to being met. I'm sure he's asking in the neighborhood of 15k or so. Just a guess.
  19. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    'stacked knob configuration'--i thought that referred to the stacked concentric knobs...:meh:
  20. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    for 50 bucks I'd buy it.