1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More I/O options for expanding my MOTU 828

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    Im looking at the following options:

Presonus Firestudio project. it ships with a free inspire 1394 which would be nice for at home recodings since i leave the motu at the practice space

Digimax D8. a no frills option since you can sinc to the motu and it has good preamps

Tascam us-1641. doesen't have 8 outs but i don't think we need the outs

what do you think? im leaning toward the first two.

2. Motu 8Pre?

3. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    the 8pre does have adat which is what i'd need to connect to the other motu (original 828). is it better to use same brand name products? or are the preamps better in the 8pre than the digimax d8 or firestudio?

im also wondering how the gain is with each of these if its enough for live and recording use

4. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    No , you can use anything

Did tried both units but not in a A/B ,I can tell you that the 8pre does sound very good for the price......

Of course. These days it is pretty rare to find a microphone preamp that won't give you at least 0dbu.

I'd buy an 8pre and plug your 828mkI in it. That way , you'd be able to use the newest "Cuemix" (0 latency) your old unit would act as extra inputs available in the cumix board.

5. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    +1. Cuemix is the business. It's like banana pancakes.

6. I have used a lot of gear and while MOTU isn't giving you caviar preamps for burger prices, their performance hold up very well against anything in their class. I really like my 896HD preamps, and they are a generation older than the newest stuff. Keeping it in the family gets you better integration, as has been pointed out.

7. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    ok so I got the presonus d8.

can you guys help me with setup? I read the manual but I'm still confused

can I just use an adat cable to connect the two or do I need the bnc cable? because my 828 doesent have a bnc connector?

I'm also wondering how I'm going to do the master and slave.

do I use the motu as the master since that's what I was recording on or use the d8 as the master since the clock is newer?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021