1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More Ibanez Neck/Action Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jul 12, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I recently had my Ibanez SR885's truss rod adjusted due to rattling low frets (1-5 on G, 1-4 on D, 1-3 on A)- apparently the rod was twisting a little or something.

I got it back and needed it for rehearsal so I wasnt too bothered that the action was a little high for my taste. I like a little fretboard impact when I pluck hard, but not constant rattling.

Now I am adjusting the action from the bridge, but each time I lower the action in this way it also lowers the pitch of the string. I end up having to tune up quite a bit. This tuning back up, in turn raises the action slightly. The action is higher than I like and the strings are a little bit more tense than they should be.

Anyone know how to solve this problem? Is this another truss rod issue?

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    please help! :bawl:

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi Josh, thanks for taking this one up.

I havent measured the action, aside from the way it feels to me.

I gave it to the tech with some older strings (probably Blue Steel) that I planned on changing. Shortly after getting it back, I put on some DR lo-rider hexacore strings. I am probably mistaken about the tension- I think that these particular strings are unusually rigid when they are new. Last rehearsal I noticed one string was actually kind of loose (vibrating really wide, but not rattling) when I was playing 6-lets.

I guess I can give the bridge another go.