Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More important relationship

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ketch27, Jun 19, 2002.

1. drummer

35 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. guitarist

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. vocals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. other

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. Ketch27

Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    IL
    In a rock band setting. I'd have to go with the drummer. You still gotta groove somehow, and the drummer has more rhythem than the guitarist (obviously),

2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    when ever im starting in a new band i like to have a few jam sessions with the drummer. It is very hard for me to connect with guitarist because all guitarist i have ever jammed with have caused some damage to me or my instrument.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    In most styles and with most players, bass is a part of the rhythm section. So, yeah, it's important to be connected to the drummer (only in a musical, healthy way of course ;)).

4. Triangle.. pure an simple... if there isn't a triangle in the band its simply the end of my playing... unless theres a tambourine... of course... but then again.....

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I like having a drummer where we both know the changes well, and aren't dependent on one another at all to get through the songs. I like where things tighten up and we know what to play, when to play it, and we aren't relying on cues from others in the band whatsoever. So long as everyone else fulfills their role as well, we get good results.

If I had to say there's one part of the band with which I share more of a connection than the rest though, it would be the drums. I don't even listen to the guitar or vocals most times, I'm just counting on them to keep up and handle their parts.

When I need to lock into the kick drum though, I listen to the drummer more closely, to keep it tight.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If I don't know what the drummer is doing with the kick drum, I feel lost. I can still play and play in time but it just doesn't feel right. It's like flying on instruments, it can be done, but I'd rather not.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    in horselover fat i play the bass and my most important connection is the drummer.

in 500saturno i play guitar and i listen quite exclusively to the bass player.

8. I know as a bassist, Im meant to say drummer, but I have to admit I mostly listen to the rhythm guitarist.
    Jim

9. Bass and drums ARE the groove. Everything else is window dressing. If the bass and drums aren't happening it doesn't matter how good anyone else is, the music won't have any foundation.

Granted, that just a drummer's perspective.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    IMO, the answer is "all are equally important."

When, playing live, it is true that you have to be tight with the drums. But this doesn't discount the importance of the relationship with the other tone-producing instruments.

When composing, the importance is obvious. In live playing (especially when you play off charts or improv), you have to be completely aware of the guitar player (or pianist, horns or whatever) If you aren't, it is extremely easy to create conflicting transitions, alter the chord, etc.

You should even consider the vocal melody when constructing lines.

A well-tuned band is one unit. EVERY relationship is important.

Chas

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In al the music I play it is the piano that I want to be able to hear most in the monitors and which gives me most information about what's going on.

In most Latin Jazz it is the percussion which is at the heart and often if you can't hear, say a conga pattern then it is difficult to lock in, but generally the time should be internalised by all.