Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

more kidney stones!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Apr 29, 2003.

1. just two months ago, I had surgery on my left kidney, due to a kidney stone the size of roughly a golf ball and a few smaller stones....which was the worst week of my life. I ended up spending a week in the hospital trying to recover, which some may remember my account of that terrible week.

Well, since then I've been fine. A week ago I got another ultrasound just as a checkup...no big deal, right? Well, now in my right kidney they found yet another stone, and since saturday it's been giving me all hell.

Right now its pushing so hard it hurts as I type this. It's small enough to pass so my doctor says they wont do anything, they just gave me some pain meds, said to drink lots of fluids and good luck. Thats all I get. So now I'm hopped on meds while I'm drinking glass after glass of water and I truly feel like crap.

Just when you think its all over it comes back to get you...

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    that sucks man. I hope you feel a beter. The other day I had a friend whoms side was hurting the m VERY bad, I went with him to the hospital, and he has kidney stones as well. He was in mad pain. They haven't passed yet.

Feel better soon.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey, I know I guy at work here who's been through this many times (had surgery on a golf ball sized one) according to him you are dealing with one of the most excruciatingly painful experiences people have to go through - is he lying to me or is it really all that bad? It seems sad but true that for what ever reason people who get them are more likely to get them over and over again - could be a diet thing... are you a big dairy guy - ice cream, milk shakes etc. or are you a fan of the salty snacks - or are you just an innocent victim with no apparent calcium or sodium issues?

4. It really is that bad. When my golf ball was inside me and at the time we didn't know what it was....we all thought I was dying. The pain is so excruciating I can't even begin to describe. What I'm having now isn't near as bad as that, and right now it feels like I'm being stabbed in the side repeatedly. Back then sometimes I honestly wanted to die....it was terrible.

One of my doctors (female, btw) said she'd rather give birth several more times before going through another stone.

And yeah, I'm big on dairy and salty stuff. But for now thats a no-no.

I feel like total poo right now.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    you know, there is a chance that a low F# through the right rig and with enough volume might just crush that little bugger inside your kidney and allow it to pass more easily - but you'll probably just have to wait. I hope you feal better soon.

6. OUCH!!! Good luck man, Kidney stones sure suck. Ive had one before and man, It hurt like hell when it finally came out. I was crying like a little girl the entire time. Atleast u got pain meds, Lucky :D

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ewww, what a terrible thing... that reminds me, not to derail your thread too much, does Dr. Pepper really cause kidney stones. What about the knockoffs?

8. wow. i am sorry to hear this. i remember the hell you went through the last time. at least this time no surgery. they say though this is worse than having a baby. and that is hell, lol.
    take care of yourself. hope you feel better soon.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good luck Jake, hope it passes quickly for you.

10. About 6 months ago that was all I drank and look where that got me :eek:

No more DP or any other soft drink for me...for a long time at least.

It hasn't passed yet, but these pain meds are doing wonders. Lortab = heavy stuff

11. Sorry to hear that Broham...hope the pain comes to an end fast...

good luck...

Can I aska question...when it passes(you pee it out) is that the most painful time? or just having it float around is more pain?

...I dunno kidney stones:confused:

-Jon:oops:

12. Passing it hurts more than having it just float. Imagine one of those maces with all the spikes on the ball, A kidney stoned looks like the ball with the spikes on it. Hurts enough to make the toughest of prisoners cry there little panties off. Just hope you never get one.

13. Usually thats the case. But when I had my golfball stone in my kidney, it was digging deep into my kidney, and that is THE most painful thing I've ever been through. 10x worse than it going through my weiner. If you can even imagine that :eek:

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    That's a bummer having to go thru all of that so young. Hope this one doesn't give you too much trouble.

For me, the worst was the blockage stage. I have never imagined pain that intense, there must be another term for it. It is beyond pain. I couldn't even make any noise.

A couple of guys on AGB were just discussing nephroliths too, this must be the season...

Hope it doesn't last too long. Hang in there.

15. I feel ya. I'm just now getting back on my feet from the surgery I had for my little monster a couple months back. Grit your teeth, bear it, and know that Nietsche was FULL of it. (That which did not kill him was obviously NOT a kidney stone!) BTW, playing bass always made mine hurt worse! Get well soon.

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Just remember, this too will pass.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope you feel better soon!

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Originally posted by StupidMatt
    does Dr. Pepper really cause kidney stones. What about the knockoffs?

Anything with high concentraits of sugar can eventually cause them.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol. good one.

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i hope you feel better soon, jake. hang in there. i'd say "pass that on to the poor weiner too", but ... well...

nevermind. :eek:.