Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

more lane poor pricing insanity

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by David Wilson, Oct 13, 2003.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    This LP MM pup from a Flea bass just went for over $280...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22670&item=2563146291

And it didn't even say Lane Poor in the auction heading...

Now, I'm a pretty firm believer in "if it gets the sound you want, it's worth it to you".

But what is interesting is that I don't think a Flea bass with LP MM pup would sell used for $200 more than a Flea Bass with (say) SD MM pup. Or am I wrong?

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    No, I don't think you're wrong. This is one of those cases where the parts are worth more than the whole. This is only because Lane Poor pups have attained collectors status. So, go out buy a Flea bass with an LP pup and then swap pups and resell. :D

I tell you. If I were Lane Poor, I would secretly go back into business and sell pups on eBay for the outrageous prices that they are selling at. Ok, well, maybe not. :D

3. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have one! I have no current intention of selling the bass, or the pup.

But if I ever do sell, looks like I'll be selling the pup and bass separately.
    [​IMG]

4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i bought a lane poor MM pickup (that came out of a flea) not too long ago for only $120!!! the guy i bought it from favored the seymour duncan :rolleyes:

$280 is pretty steep but then again they are somewhat collectible and very highly sought after. i wouldn't have paid that much though. i guess i'm lucky that i got it for such a good price! :D

5. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    hey david, how is the lane poor working for you in that flea bass? i've been seriously considering getting a flea and dropping my lane poor in there. it's either that or a project bass that i plan on building sometime in the future, but i think i'm leaning towards the flea.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, I got it with the LP in it so I can't do any before/after comparisons. But it's definitely a very clear, full range sound out the bass.

But it's hard to tell whether that's due to neck, wood, pickup, preamp - where of course it's a combination of all these factors.

7. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Man, I can't wait to sell my pair of LP's!!:D

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I too had a Flea bass with a LP pickup, IMP, the best sounding pickup I have heard. I was going to pick up a bart to stick in it before I sold it, but just decided to be a little bit of a stickler when I sold it, and demanded a good price.

The bassist for the "Blue man group" ended up picking it up.....great bass!