1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More lightweight amps, why no light poweramps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PatrickEdmonds, Apr 24, 2009.

1. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    Yes, their are some light power amps, but with so many new lightweight bass amps, why don't we see more lightweight rack power amps.

2. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    QSC and Crown have been making some great lightweight amps for some time now. Carvin just came out with their own lightweight power amps also for a very good price. I had a Crown XTI 1000 for a while and it was a great sounding,powerful head that only weighed 17 pounds and never gave me a lick of trouble.It would be cool if someone made a rackmount amp that put out around 500 watts and only weighed 6 or 7 pounds though like the mini heads. You don't always need a 1000 watt poweramp for your rig.

3. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
  4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Man, there's gotta be some reason.

5. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    I have the peavey dpc 1400x which is discontinued and several years old, but is still one of the lightest around at 11 pounds.

If they can make poweramps in the genz benz shuttle and markbass products, that are far under 10 pounds, why cant they make one that is like 1000 watts in 8 pounds.

6. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland

dcp1400x. 1400watts. 1 rackspace

peavey really blew me away when i heard it was discontinued.

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Carvin's new DCM line-up are all reduced in weight. That's why you can get the older models brand new for a song now.

8. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    Ya, I'm glad I have one, but it is really deep. It still sticks out the back of the deepest rack I could find. I would rather have a shallow 2 space that is light weight, or a single space with less power and not as big. Having a shallow rack would be so much easier.

9. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, where is the power amp the size of the Marbass F1???

10. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Or lightweight half racks?

11. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

They already are. I think Bob's reply is tongue-in-check, because QSC makes the 13-pound PLX2 amps.

A stereo power amp has two channels, so it's going to weigh about twice as much as a small bass head. Its power supply will be larger and almost twice the weight---to handle two channels. The larger chassis adds a little more, but that's offset by not having a preamp and the tone controls.

Making mono power amps is pretty silly, since virtually every PA user wants stereo.

12. Rick Auricchio

Stewart has made the PA-50, PA-100, and PA-200 for years. Half-rack, five pounds.

13. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...love my XTi 4000...1600 w/side @ 2 ohms, 1200 @ 4...18 1/2 lbs...this is one serious bad boy...

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My hypothesis is that the makers of rackmount power amps have decided to start by solving the biggest problem, which is the weight of the biggest amps. That's where the market is for PA gear.

I asked one lightweight bass amp maker why he didn't sell a power amp only version. He told me that his sales volume would be so much lower that the power amp would end up being more expensive than the head.

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It seems like Genz Benz could just release the power amp part of the Shuttle, doesn't it? Or Mark Bass or Eden or whomever. Must be a reason they don't.

17. Rick Auricchio

Because the sales would be miniscule. It's unlikely the manufacturer would recover the development and tooling costs.

Remember, it costs money to set up a factory. Just the metalwork for a new chassis is a big deal.

In your Shuttle example, they'd have to design a front-panel with input jacks and gain controls.

18. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    If you can wait a few more months, Peavey says it will have a line of class-D power amps starting at under 7 pounds and a street price of $300 for the 1600 watt (lowest power, non-DSP) version:

http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/347/cat/1/article.cfm

Two rack spaces tall, about the same overall dimensions as the QSC PLX1804 but about half the weight (and price). Sweetwater already has it for sale for $299.99 with free shipping but no assurance on delivery dates:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IPR1600/

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Acoustic Image used to make a power amp... "Focus SA"

I used it for about a year. I think it weighed about 3.5LBS.

Discontinued though.

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    :D