More live music for pubs: England &Wales?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin John, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Here's an interesting snippet from the BBC's web site, news section, dated 12th April 2002.

It seems the government have finally recognised that live music in pubs is a good thing, and apparently plan to do something about it. And it also explains why getting pub gigs is apparently so difficult.

More power to the government's elbow.......:D

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Good news indeed but...

Most pubs where I am want covers bands. I play in an originals band. I have a gig soon but we wont get paid. A mate has a originals band and his lot did a bar I am interested in, they didn't get paid, maybe next time. I saw a band there recently and guess what? They were a covers band. We walked down the street and the next pub had a SRV tribue band.

Another mate has a covers band and they play 2-3 times a week. They have a regular slot at my 'local' and I am struggling to get in there.

I doubt that orignals bands will get any more gigs out of this new legislation.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's all about music licences isn't it - I think the Police would still put in objections and say that it's a safety issue.

I find it strange - this cover band thing as I just don't see it at all!

So, I have lived in Brighton all my life and occasionally go to London for gigs. I buy all the listings magazines going and of course there is the occasional tribute band that comes up - but the vast majority of the music I see advertised in Brighton or London is original bands.

So - Brighton has several large and medium venues for music. MY band has played at the Komedia which has all sorts of music every night of the week - world music, folk, funk, Latin, Jazz etc

There are medium venues like "The Event" and the Concorde II - which have bands on every night who are touring the country - like Mercury Rev on Monday, which a lot of friends went to.

Anyway, I suppose the point is that we have clubs and specific venues for live music and most people in Brighton expect pubs to be places where you go to drink, meet friends and chat; not to see bands!
  4. that's good news for us bass players:D-
    hopefully this will mean an end to all the awful backing track/sequencer duo covers acts around.
  5. I think that's right, MTR. And now we know why there are so many duos and the like singing in pubs, and why good bands can't get a play very often. I presume it would cost quite some ££ for a pub proprietor to get a full entertainment license.

The pub music scene, Bruce, is important IMHO because that's where the up and coming bands can (should be able to) get gigs: the first rung of the ladder, so to speak. You can have bands playing in pubs that don't blow the walls out so that enjoyable social intercourse ( :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D ) can take place. Some bands do, of course, play far too loud.

CS, the covers vs original thing is easy to understand, IMHO: pubs want their punters to recognise the songs being played because it's more enjoyable that way so they drink more beer!!!!!! I guess the trick is to play covers + originals.

On the whole, though, this should be really good news for the English and Welsh live music scenes.