Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More love for Mike Mills

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Max, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    We got REM's Perfect Square DVD and I think he just gets better and better. Energetic, melodic bass lines. This show rocked. Highly recommended.

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Mike Mills has always impressed me with his strong and supportive role as a bassist.

3. + 1 to that. He's a player I always seem to forget about. :meh:

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    me too... I was HEAVILY into REM in the late 80s, I own everything they've ever done on Vinyl, Cassette and CD through Green. I played in a band for a while that was 50% early REM stuff....

Mike is a great player and I'd like to think he's influenced me quite a bit. I just always forget about him too :meh:

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    While I can understand how someone could dislike his playing (even though I like what he plays in almost every REM song a lot), I think you simply can't argue with Mike's tone. I can't think of a single REM song where the bass doesn't sound nice, rich and fits the song 100%. Personally I've never come across a P bass I really liked but maybe some day I will, seeing how good it sounds on REM's records.

6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Listening to What's the Frequency Kenneth right now. He really is amazing and underappreciated IMO.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah, on "Kenneth", his bass playing pretty much makes the song and Peter's junky-sounding distorted guitar antics are pretty much only the icing on the cake. Insanely catchy bass line. Man, I so wish Bill hadn't left... :crying:

8. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    There are these giant shimmering backdrops behind the stage of Mills, Stipe and Buck. After song two, Stipe says to the audience "Hello. It's you, me, him and him (pointing to Buck and Mills). There are three other musicians in the band and the only time you see them is in a shot with the original three. I miss Bill too.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Well, it's 1:30am and I had to pick up the DVD on the way home (between car shopping).

Besides his bass playing, I really dig how Mike does his backing vocals.... the way he contradicts Stipes' lines, the way he finishes Stipes' thoughts, the way they stay loose enough to feel they may trainwreck... but don't.

I remember seeing them at Rutgers the year "The One I Love" hit the top 40 stations.... they opened with it and Stipe announced after it was over that now all the yuppies can go home and we can start the show :bassist:

I think it's time I buy the rest of their catalog. Revisiting my collection, I own up to 'Out of Time' but that one was a gift. I don't think I gave it more than a couple listens.

Wow, Orange Crush was pretty powerful!

Ok back to the DVD... Losing My Religion is on now.

10. If ya'll bought the last Dashboard Confession's CD it had a DVD special of them covering R.E.M songs from automatic for the people cd (REM's best album for me) and Stipe came out at the end and sang one of thiers. It worth checking out or download if you don't like DB.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Good bassist, I can't get past Stipe though.

12. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    I must agree that Mike Mills is a great musician. He came to one of our shows one night and I asked him if he would sign my bass. He wrote "Better Than Me" on it (which is not true). The next night we played an outdoor show with Parliament/Funkadelic and I sweated the autograph off. Oh well, I know it was there. What a fantastic band and gracious, personable people.

13. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Actually, he used a Rickenbacker for the first....4-5 recordings.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I must admit that the earliest album I actually own is "Green", whose bass tracks sound very P bass-ish.

15. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I listen to R.E.M. pretty much daily, especially the early stuff. Reconstruction of the Fables/Fables of the Reconstruction is my favorite album. Life's Rich Pageant and Murmur are close behind.

Powerful music, and a great/underestimated bassist.

16. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Yeah, that's right around where he switched. Do yourself a favor, go out and get Murmur and Reckoning. Those were the last two recordings where I HAD to sit down and play along with every song. I.R.S. records put out a "greatest hits" of the early stuff. It's called "Eponymous". That might not be a bad place to start either.

I think Fables is my favorite as well, but not a good one to introduce the early stuff to someone.

17. Mr Venus

Mr Venus Guest

Aug 23, 2005
    I love Mike's playing, but it seems to me that he concentrates on keyboards these days - his bass isn't as upfront on the last few albums as on the early ones. His tone on "Document" is fantastic.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I think "Life's Rich Pagent" is my fav... Document then Fables after.

I had Document blairing while I was getting ready for work today :bassist:

19. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Yeah, Pageant is really good. I always thought that Begin The Begin into These Days was one of the best one-two punch openings of a recording.... It's hard to pick a favorite among the early 5 recordings...

20. Pageant, Document, Murmur. If you're unsure, get Eponymous- probably one of the best "best of" collections you're ever going to find.

I know it's all indie snotty to say something like "Green was the last real REM album," but there was a big big change between Green and the Shiny Happy People album.

If your idea of REM is shaped only by their 90's releases, and you wonder why people give REM so much credit, at least check out Eponymous.