More low end... Jazzbass or Pbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Oct 2, 2000.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    What do you think;
    more low end in P bass or J bass (volume all the way up)
    say for example Fender standard J less low end as standard P?
    i've been a P fan but now want to venture into jazz bass territory; but would not want to lose my low end and money
    so what do you think?
  2. i think that the more low end capabilities are on the Jazzbass
  3. i like the J bass
    you have 2 choices..1.front pick up(p-bass)..2.rear pick up (J bass)
    nothing in the world beats a rear soloed J bass pick up.
    the best thing is you can mis both pu's and create tones from the best of both worlds.Also Jazz necks are slick and sweet.(thinner at the nut)
  4. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    maybe someone could inform me as to why/ or if they have chosen/ between a Precision or Jazz; and what the picked and why...

hey maybe someone would know about Timmy C.'s (rage against the machine)'75 jazz, its said its modified maybe someone knows which modifications; it doesnt have a pickgaurd and i havent seen one like that from fender......
    wow the cost of john turner's basses and such is more than the number of cells in my brain
  5. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have to disagree with most of you.

IMO, the Precision has a much darker, warmer, deeper, thuddier sound = more "low end".

The Jazz has a brighter, growlier, punchier sound.

Both will sound like a bass, and both will hold down "low end" like there's no tomorrow, and you're not losing out if you only own one. (Jazz basses are used in millions of bands with plenty of low end tone.)

But to my ears, the Precision is generally "darker."

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    As the owner of two P's and a J... I have to agree with gmstudio99, except for the punch part. To my ears, the P gives more punch.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with GM on this one.

YOu can get a quasi P sound with the neck pickup soloed and the treble rolled off, but if you want that true P-bass boom, there is no substitute.
  8. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    About 10 years ago I had a bass called Fender Jazz special, (I think that's what it was called) do they still make those? It had the Pbass pickup in the neck position and a Jbass pickup in the bridge position. best of both worlds?
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000

Fender does make a bass with this pickup configuration. It's the Hot Rod P bass. But the best of both worlds would be having both a P and a J.
    ImprecisionBass likes this.
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

New American Deluxe P's have humbucker at bridge position.
    So more growl there.
  11. slipitin

slipitin Guest

Jul 26, 2002
    Anyone who has played a P and a J will know what I mean: 5th fret and below the P neck has the solidity to 'hold' a fundamental low and the P pup placing is perfect to respond to this.

The jazz has more growl and a faster neck...but I can do without these.

If you want to cut through more go for j, if you want that indescribable feeling of having your heart moved by a lovely big piece of tree, it's the p.
  12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Get a P bass. Maybe get a P/J bass if you want the capabilities of the jazz bridge pickup, too.
  13. The secret to the P low end is the low mid-range frequencies that makes it punchy.

Fender stopped making Hot Rods long time ago.
  14. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
  15. Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I thought the secret to the P low end was the location of the pickup...mid body. If it were closer to the neck or the bridge some of that low thump would be lost.
  16. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
  17. Stephen05301

Dec 11, 2011
    I have an American Standard Jazz with the S-1 switching. With the pickups switched to parallel and the tone switch turned just a bit it sounds almost identical to my '72 precision.
  18. XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    What in the wide world of sports is that a pic of?
  19. DogBone

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Virginia