1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

more low end

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ajaxon, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ajaxon

ajaxon

Jun 13, 2005
    Southeast Missouri
    I have done the search route and still have not found an answer. This may be a stupid question due to the fact that I have only been playing upright since Sept 08, but does the body size of an upright effect the amount of low end that is projected?

I play a KC Series plywood. I know that the body doesn't seem as large as the KC Series hybrid or the carved.

Or could it be that I need to have the bass setup?

I appreciate any info on this.

2. Bigger can be louder and deeper in the low register, but size is not the only factor. Quality and setup matters, maybe more.

Proper setup means a lot. If your bass is not effectively using the energy you are applying to it because of problems with the bridge or soundpost, etc then a setup by a bass luthier can help. Strings are important too. Hiring some experience can be the best investment you can make.

A couple other thoughts, if I may, after looking at your profile - I came from a BG background too and had issues with the low register and overall sustain of the DB. I assume we are talking non-amplified or you would just turn it up. It simply took me a while to adjust to the DB acoustic sound and It is different than 200 watts at your fingertips, especially the low end if you are used to playing low BG. Sometimes you may need to play an octave higher that you are accustomed to.

Check you are holding it right, lean it up against your midsection so you can feel it. For pizz - play with your right hand fingers pointing toward the floor rather than across the strings. Playing acoustically with the fingertips causes a thin sound in the low register. Move your whole hand and hit the string with as much surface of the side of the index finger as you can. Using two-finger BG style is not easy because the index finger is in the way.

Be aware that your DB may be louder than you think. You have to be some distance away - like 15 - 20 feet to really hear it. Get other's opinions or have someone else play while you listen. The room in which you are playing can also affect the sound (and your perception) greatly. One more thing - be careful where you stand - get away from noisy things.

Hope this helps and was not TMI.