1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More Michael and Paolo pics from Berkeley ...

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Dave Grossman, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much for the pictures, Dave. Yikes, that's a close up of the Ebow! Must be a great camera! Thanks also for your very kind review.

2. You're welcome.

I really like how that Ebow pic turned out. I picked up one of those at NAMM last January. They're really fun! I tend to use mine in the normal mode. Michael, do you primarily use yours in that special overtones mode ( or whatever they call it )? That's what it sounded like to me.

I should note that when I said that the audience was "dead silent", I meant, between the thunderous applause.

:)

Dave

3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I often switch between the two modes, sometimes in the middle of a note, and I also play a lot of harmonics in the normal mode by using the pinky of my Ebow hand to close the harmonic. Somehow Paolo's music seems to call for a lot of harmonic Ebow stuff, but oddly enough I played a few gigs with my friend John Gorka last weekend using a ton of Ebow and I didn't use the harmonic mode once!

4. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    nice carpet guys :)

ohh.. and some nice bass... ;)

michael.. just gimme a tip how can european get on berkley? ;-) I do not expect that short skirt will work :D

Miss.Ant.

p.s. really cool lenght of neck.. i am just rebuilding my spector.. maybe i will make there some similiar hole :p

5. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    oooo an Ebow? what's that? i want one. i bet that's super wicked fun to play with.

neat pics.

6. Thanks. E-bows give you infinite sustain by generating a resonating magnetic field that keeps the string vibrating. By positioning the E-bow in different locations on the string you can cause different overtones to be enhanced. It's really incredible. The new E-bow has a special mode that forces higher harmonics to be enhanced. I prefer the standard mode though.

Check out:
    http://www.ebow.com/

- Dave

7. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    bless you, they have a new customer =)

i'll tell em "Dave sent me!"

8. I'm a huge Gorka fan and I really enjoy his "Gypsy Life" DVD. It's particularly nice to watch your effortless ebow technique including how you switch between fingerstyle and ebow mid phrase.

9. Zander4724

Zander4724

Mar 20, 2008
    UK
    Great photos, Dave! Thanks a lot!