1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More Mid-Focused Stainless Roundwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stflbn, Apr 16, 2010.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've been using ProSteels primarily over the past few months. I love the strings on most of my basses, but I've recently gotten a Reverend BH5 and would like to hear more mids out of this specific bass.

What are the stainless steel roundwounds out there that are less scooped and more mid focused while retaining the normal stainless clarity?

Currently I have a set of HiBeams on the bass and they seem better and 'close'

Thinking of trying:
    SIT Power Steels
    Sadowsky Steels
    Dunlop Steels
    Rotosounds

I was considering putting something like a EMG BTC Control in the bass in order to cut lows or highs in order to bump mids, but it seems a shame to mod this rare bass. Or use an external preamp with bass/treble cut or mid boost, but I think the bass is 'close' to what I'm hearing now.

Thoughts?

Crappy iPhone photo's. I'll do better photo's... promise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. i think you should start out with la bella hard rockin' steel. this is what i use now after looking for a more balanced, mid-present sound from steel strings.

read the bass player review of strings. the SIT strings might also be something you'd like, based on their descriptions. i chose the la bella HRS because the pickups on my peavey cirrus are quite bright. you may want more high end, which the SIT (or even the sadowsky) should provide.

the reviews also cover how the strings feel. i don't have any issues playing la bella HRS, but the SIT and rotosound are rougher than the la bella and sadowsky.

robb.

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    DR FatBeams or Lo-Riders. Sweet bass!

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've got a set of Stainless Lo-Riders and SIT Powersteels coming to try.

5. Stainless steel Lo-Rider

I put them on after using Hi-Beam for a year, and the tone was noticeably different in the mids.

6. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Rotosounds. They sound like they would suit, and nothing is like them in sound (very unique). Its always worth trying something new and different IMO, you could try most other makes out there and still not find the same sound as the Rotos, which maybe the sound your after.

They are a bit rougher than other strings, but I have used them for 2-3 years now with no fret issues, or even signs of them beginning. Your fingers will toughen up to the point you wont notice they are rough also. You can hear them on the Rotosound website.

7. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    the mid of sadowski are pretty nice and have a long life too, I hate the pro steels too scouped for me I like the bite the growl

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR LoRiders fo sho.

9. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Lo Riders if you like more tension, LaBella HRS if you like less

10. Frank Orlando

Frank Orlando

Dec 21, 2002
    Fort Myers
    Warwick Black Lable. Very mid focused.

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I think your idea of installing a preamp is best. Esp if you get one like EMG 3-band with selectable mid control. Or similiar 3-band with selectable mids. While cutting bass and treble might make mids more prominate, its not gonna help you accent mids as well as mid boost would with the center freq of choice for that. If you get a chance to. Play your bass thru a 10-20 band eq and play with all the midrange controls. Find that area of mid which when boosted is most pleasing to you. Also note which parts of the mids when boosted are annoying to you. Pick a 3-band preamp which avoids the center freqs you found annoying and go with one whose mid freq choices include that center freq or very close to it, that was most pleasing when boosted.

If nothing else get your hands on a multi effect bass processor that has at least 6 bands of eq, pref more. Or an amp head or combo with at least 3 ranges for mids.

The problem with the single choice for mids preamps is that it can just as easilly boost a part of the midrange you dont like boosted. Unless you know ahead of time what center freq you want. And choose preamp based on that for its mid section.

For mid rich strings though, I think thats part of what I dislike about daddario and elexir, the type of mid accent they have. But one of these might suit your needs well for that bass perhaps.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Onboard 3-band is NOT going to happen on this bass. (And I'm a big fan of 3-band for live use) I'm waffling on the idea of modding it to add a single knob 2-band with Bass/Treble cut in order to boost mids, but it's likely not going to happen. I think if a preamp happens it will be an external. The bass is one of 79 total made, and it's 'close' tonally. Drilling additional holes for more knobs isn't an option for this bass.

Also... just reserving one of the 3 presets on my RH450 head specifically for this bass, or making a drawing to reflect back on when needed for head EQ settings is also a strong possibility.

13. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd try DR DDTs on that bass.

14. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Drop tuning strings? Not sure I'll be able to convince myself to make that trial investment without hearing comparisons between them and other strings.

15. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That's a huge marketing mistake from DR. The 45-125 set is perfect for normal tuning. They feel really similar to hi-beams but with a rounder, growlier sound and a much better low B. They do have a lot of beef in the low end, but its a lot of good material in that mid-low range vs the ultra deep extended lows of the prosteels. And the highs are quite a bit more mellow than hi-beam -- more mid-focused.

Somewhere between hi-beams and hard rockin steels.

16. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Cool. I'm wanting to retain highs though... not mellower highs.