Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More Modulus question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darrelpr, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Again, I have to turn to the experts on this forum for feedback/comments since the sales "counselors" at my local Modulus dealer seem to be clueless....

1. Looking at the Bart pickup options, what advantage does the Aguilar preamp provide?

2. What's the difference between the composite, Granadillo and chechen fingerboards with regards to feel, stability and sound? (I'm assuming the Granadillo and chechen FBs would give a little warmer sound but I was not able to A/B compare them at the store.)

3. Sweetspot or dual pups?

I realize these are subjective questions but as always, thanks in advance for your feedback.

darrelpr

2. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    I've got a Q5 with Barts and the Aguilar preamp. I absolutely love it. I wouldn't say there's an advantage to the Aguilar, though. Actually it might be just the opposite. It's 2 band, bass & treble boost only. Very similar to a Sadowsky. So you don't have the versatility of a Bart 3 band boost/cut set up. I still prefer the Aguilar.

As you said, it's all subjective. I A/B'd two Q5's, one with the Bart 3 band and the one I bought with the Aguilar, and I thought the Aguilar sounded much, much better.

Just use your ears.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The only question I can help you with is the "Sweetspot" vs. "Quantum"...Ultimately, of course, it's up to your ears to decide. But, what I can tell you, from what I remember 6 years ago, was that Modulus used to use 9-volt P pickups that EMG housed in a soapbar casing for the Quantums. They looked exactly the same as the single EMG humbucker that was used in the sweetspot, but the two pickups were completely different. The difference is, of course, that in the Quantum, you'd have 2 P pickups and 9-volt electronics, but 1 pickup wiht 18-volt electronics (thus more headroom) in the "Sweetspot".

Because of this, alone, the sound was vastly different. Things have probably changed quite a bit, and I'm not as familiar with what Modulus did or does currently with these 2 basses when using Barts.

I can say this, however: 2 pickups will give you more tonal flexibility, being able to use both pickups will give you neck p/u warmth coupled with bridge p/u clarity. Various blending techniques will produce a wide array of tones.

The theory behind the Sweetspot, Modulus apparently feels, is that the pickup is placed in the exact location that maximizes harmonic overtones and fundamental. The sound should, in theory, be more "rich" if the pickup's in the "sweet-spot" location. Whether or not you agree is a different story...

Hope this helps.;)