Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

more mudvayne, delay with no fx???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    my friends recently went to c mudvayne (which i missed nooooooooo) and said one thing he did was to play a note and then sorta hit the fret board with his plucking hand backwards a few times to where it usually is and it sound like delay but it wasnt. any ideas on how to do this?

2. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    hmmmm i guess that means that nobody knows. what a genis he is, i salute u. im talking to myself again arent i?

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It's called a left hand slap. I do this by muting the strings with my left hand index finger and smacking my 2nd and 3rd fingers down so that the strings hit the fretboard. If you place LHS between normal slaps and pops you can play very fast percussive figures.

Alex

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    maybe i wasnt clear enough? he hits the fret board with his right hand back to where u normally play, i'll try and draw...

H = headstock

H | | | | | | | | | ===

so its head stock frets then where ur right hand goes.

hes fretting down the left of the picture then moves his right hand and hits the fretboard a few times from left to right.

thanx anyways mate

5. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    what if he's right?
    what if ryan is performing a left hand slap... with his right hand?
    think about it...

6. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    so he mutes with his left and slaps with his right??

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Or maybe it was a tapping technique. Perhaps He was slapping notes then tapping them with gradually softer force to get a delay effect.

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    hmmmmmmmm its a theory, zing!! any more ideas? were on a roll!!

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ryan martinie has gone into detail about his right hand technique in two issues of bass player. he plays in a downward motion (as in striking the board) with his right fingers to produce a percussive attack. i think maybe if you had seen him play this with your own eyes, you would be able to visualize it. it hardly produces a delay effect, though.

10. i read that issue of bass player and picked up on his downward slap technique.it is very cool and i use it sometimes for heavy riffs in my hard rock band.i find that,at least on my bass, using the technique on the d and g strings really dosent produce that much sound, so it really dosent work well on those strings,but its perfect for playing heavy,fast riffs on the e and a strings,wich bounce against the fretboard perfectly for this technique.its cool to play just really fast muted notes to the rythym of a fast double bass drum and add your own little bass line lingering in between all the muted notes that you are hitting.ryan martinie is an amazing,innovative,underrated bass player.definitly one of my favorites.his chops in the songs his bands plays are insane!
    Tom