1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More Mwah?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chutsk10, Jul 20, 2007.

1. So is there any particular was to set up a fretless to maximize the Mwah tone?

2. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    you're all over the place today aren't you?

3. Baleen

Baleen

Nov 8, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Like you're already doing (from your other post), get the action low.

Also, as you pluck closer to the center of the string (towards the 12th fret) it'll give you more.

Coating the fingerboard to make it a harder surface, e.g. with epoxy or a shellac, should give you more (and brighter too), but it can also make it more twangy. Especially if you use rounds. Even a coat of ColorTone fretboard finishing oil seemed to make mine brighter.

And, not insignificantly, make sure you're stopping the strings with enough pressure. It's easy to stop a string on a metal fret, but harder so with your fleshy fingers. While lower action will make this easier, you still may have to build up strength to make it sound like you want.

4. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Also, it depends on which part of your finger is touching the string and how much pressure you're using.

5. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Make sure your neck is straight--very little relief..

6. I have my days.

haha, yeah well since I know jack all abotu a fretless I decided I'd post somethign regarding every single problem I had :rolleyes: