More NAMM Candy: Yamaha TRB6JP2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christopher, Jan 18, 2003.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Aside from the fact that the tuners look drawn on, it looks exactly the same as the first JP bass. Of course, the first was only offered in two finishes, so maybe churning out a few red ones designates teh sequel. :D Maybe I can finally afford the first one now.
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Dont like Photoshop pics. Wish it was an actual picture.
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Dave: does it really look like the yamaha? even though both basses look YUMMY!!
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It has a longer scale (35"), upgraded preamp, and two more frets.
  5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000

oh yeah!! its 26 frets! didn't notice that.. the fret markers are hard to tell on this one (which number your on etc..)
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks sweet! I wonder how the new preamp sounds?
  7. The woods and finish look similar. Yeah, the body shapes aren't that close.

- Dave
  8. glenn brady

glenn brady

Oct 10, 2002
    at a guitar show a whiles back i ran into a custom designer dude who asked what 6 i was using right now, and i told him it was a TRBJP6 (an amber one) -

he said he had just seen JP using one too (in NYC), and that JP told him that his had a different (and this guy insisted better) preamp than the stock production models

that didn't sound right, cause JP is a really straight shooter, and had told a bunch of folsk that i was with at a clinic that, save for a nicely birdseyed neck piece, that his axe was stock - no mods, and nothing that you wouldn't get in retail

last week i scoped the collectives site from bass day, and saw that JP was playing what looked to be an amber JP6

i looked hard for any sign of custom work, and immediatley noticed that the tuners were different, and the line jack was mounted in a more traditional spot, rather than where they are on the stock models (sloped up by the bottom straplock)

from a distance you couldn;t even tell it had 26 frets - this must be a cool new mod

here's a pic:
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the trbjp basses are quite awesome---play and sound really great....they're just so darn HUGE
  10. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    The older version looks better to me but this one might be (should be) a better bass (mainly because of the 26 frets, 35" scale and....those new tuners:D:D
  11. Augusto

Sep 21, 2004
    Lima, Perú
    Hi, can someone tell me if the TRPJP2 has got a active/passive feature?
  12. inate_hex

Apr 4, 2010
    Manchester, England
    I occasionally wet the bed.

Musicman Bongo club #175